Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Aussie dollars in Vietnam (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/aussie-dollars-in-vietnam-422058/)

Carrabella Apr 13th, 2004 08:21 PM

Aussie dollars in Vietnam

OK, I know this is the wrong forum, but no Aussies answered my post on the Asian one!
I want to know please, if the bank at HCMCity airport is shut when I arrive, would taxi drivers accept Aussie dollars to get me to the city, where I could change money? I have a four day stopover on the way to Europe - I know I can use US dollars, but I have no small ones and didn't particularly want to buy any if I don't have to. Thanks.

Neil_Oz Apr 13th, 2004 08:36 PM

Carabella, I didn't answer your post on the Asia forum because I thought those who did respond had given you the right advice. I didn't try to use AU$ in Vietnam and I wouldn't try to. I'd break up one of those US$100 notes you've been sitting on - I doubt you'll have a problem with the cabbie if you hand over US$ but he certainly wouldn't be able to give change for a small fortune like $100. From memory of previous posts I think the going rate is less than US$10 (maybe $6-8). Failing that I would have thought you'd find a working ATM card at the airport where you can get some VN dong.

Incidentally, from memory there's an ANZ bank with an ATM centrally situated in HCMC - sorry, don't know the address offhand but it's probably on their website.

Alan Apr 14th, 2004 05:20 AM

Hi, Carrabella!

Neil's memory is exactly right -- I, yoo, remember seeing an ANZ in Ho Chi Minh City, and I would imagine it would not be difficult to find its address by asking at your local branch -- ot has ANZ been taken over by someone lese lately? Anyway, my memory is that there was only one of those, whereas there are hundreds of Vietcombanks, so if I were you I would be going with the strength. And the strength in Vietnam is American dollars. You can find people on every street corner who will gladly give you great exchange rates for them (they have their calculator in hand to show you what a professional job they are doing!) As Neil has said, travel with US dollars, not Aussie, and you will fare much better. And these are so easy to get in Australia, that, really, I can't see that you have a problem.

Carrabella Apr 15th, 2004 09:43 PM

Thank you, Neil and Alan, for your advice - I'll buy some more small notes before I leave. I'm looking forward to it - the more I read, the more I wish I were staying longer. Next time!

pat_woolford Apr 24th, 2004 08:32 PM

Hi Carrabella - have just returned from Vietnam including Ho Chi Minh city. It took an incredibly long time to get through immigration at the airport- don't know if that is usual or there was just an influx of flights. If you have your accommodation already booked, why not get the hotel to send a car to charge to your hotel bill? Have been to several ANZ branches in the country, sometimes, for some mysterious reason, they're not open.

Carrabella Apr 24th, 2004 08:44 PM

Thank you,Pat,for your suggestion.I booked my hotel, the "Saigon Star" through an internet site, and so have had no direct contact with them - shall investigate the possibilities.