Notices

AUSRAIL TRIP FROM SYDNEY TO PERTH

May 1st, 2013, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

AUSRAIL TRIP FROM SYDNEY TO PERTH

My husband and I are planning a guided tour of Australia, which is includes Melbourne, Hobart, Adelaide, taking The Ghan to Alice Springs, Ayers Rock, Darwin, Cairns and Sydney. We are considering extending the trip to include Perth and independently take the Ausrail across country. Is this worth it in time / adventure / $$ OR would a flight be a better option?
May 1st, 2013, 07:25 PM

When we lived in Australia, my SIL sent us a DVD of a "Great Rails" trip--Adelaide to Perth on the Indian Pacific--thinking we might want to do it. The DVD only lasted 90 minutes but I felt as if the train ride lasted a lifetime. There is NOTHING to see over the vast majority of this route, so don't expect a scenic trip. They don't call this region the "Nullarbor Plains" for nothing. (For those that forgot their high school Latin, "nullarbor" means "no tree")

When we went to Perth, we flew.
May 1st, 2013, 09:20 PM

Have been on the train to Perth. Beautiful train trip as train experience is great but wouldn't do it again as very little to see. Next time I would fly.
May 1st, 2013, 09:28 PM

True. To do any long train trip you really need to like being on a train. It is much like a cruise.

I think the landscape is mesmerising, but it is better in a car so you can get out and enjoy it.

Search this Thread