Cheaper accommodation near Nadi airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to be in Fiji for 8 days starting late January, on our way to 2 months in NZ. We arrive at 3 am, so I'm looking for a place to stay for the first 2 nights that will allow us to get over the jet lag (we're coming from Toronto, Canada). Because it's going to be humid, I want air conditioning, for these 2 nights anyway (after we're rested we may be fine without), and I want a place that is easily accessible, preferably by courtesy shuttle. I don't mind staying at a backpacker place, as long as double a/c rooms are available, and if it isn't a party place (ie, noisy). The places I've been looking at are Nomad's Skylodge, Horizon Beach Resort, Tropic of Capricorn, Travellers Beach Resort, and Beach Escape Resort. Does anyone out there have input on any of these places, or other suggestions. I'm looking at $75 FJD as an upper limit, and I prefer under $60.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:45 PM

We like the Beachside resort at www.beachsideresortfiji.com. We have stayed there many times ani should fit your requirements. Have a great time in Fiji.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 06:06 PM

Hey dauber2, I'm arriving in Fiji in the middle of the night in Jan too, from Toronto,via Lax.
I am thinking of Raffles hotel near the airport. It's been recommended, but it may be more moeny.
I wasn't thinking about the humidity, so thanks for the heads up about that. I'll definately look for air conditioning too. Have you checked out the Club Fiji. It's one of my possibilities.
I'll watch this post with a lot of interest.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to Lyndie and Kodi. Both the Beachside Resort and Club Fiji look good. I'm waiting for info. from Club Fiji re rates in Fiji dollars for January. Kodi, I've heard both good and bad about Raffles on this and other forums, and it is more expensive, so I think I'll stay away from it. Have you come across anything else interesting in your searching?
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Not yet, dauber2. I go to bed at at night thinking about Fiji Hotels... and can't get them out of my mind. I really don't know what to do.
I guess because I'll only be there for 2 days, I want to make the most of it. Staying near enough to get free shuttle to hotel is important to me. Staying where the tour companies will pick me up for tours is also important to me. Beachside and Club Fiji both look good for the money. Sooooo,, I'll search a bit more... Please post whatever you find and I will too. Good luck. WE've got a couple of months!
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 05:58 PM

Beachside is far superior to Club Fiji. The food, rooms, nice pool, great friendly staff, outside eating area and bar are all nicer at Beachside. We've stayed at both and Beachside is better, imho. I believe they are both owned by related NZ families. Beachside is very, very good for the money. Good luck.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 06:03 PM

Sorry guys-forgot to mention the Ocean Breeze rooms at Beachside are not worth the extra bucks. Request a ground floor room with doors opening onto the garden & pool area. The resort is 2-3 stars imho. The Indian inspired food is very good! NZ wine is even better! Have fun wherever you choose! Also do not consider a duplex (attached) room at Club Fiji-your neighbours noise will probably bother you! The walls are paper-thin!
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 09:48 AM

Hello!! I am also going to Nadi for three days in march and I have looked on Frommers and they had recommended the aquarius hotel (www.aquarius.com.fj)
I checked it out on line and looks pretty decent and cheap.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:07 PM

Lyndie, thank you so much for the additional information. Sounds like the Beachside is the way to go. It's nice to hear from someone who has stayed there and knows the difference between the two ( Beachside and CLub Fiji).Also it's great to know which rooms are the best to request.
Unless I decide to really splurge (I'm thinking of it....I'll only pass this way once !), I think the Beachside is the way to go.
I will still check out the other places recommended though, for location and price. I have heard that the Raffles needs some renovations, so will pass on it.
Good luck dauber2.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 04:17 PM

WEll, after much consideration I've finally made a decision.I was pretty well set on the Beachside that many people have mentioned, including Lyndie. Then preenyc mentioned Aquarius, and after looking at their website and reading what frommers had to say ( and others), I think it sounds like a good choice.
I've been in touch with them via email, and they've been very, very helpful, friendly, and efficient. SO I have a good feeling about staying there. I've booked a double room on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the water and islands. It does sound great and the price is right.
I'll post a report when I get back in January.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 08:53 AM

kodi, did you stay at the Aquarius when you went to Fiji in January? How was it. We are going in October, flying from Ottawa, Canada. Looking at the Aquarius or Anchorage Beach. Anyone stay at either?
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Yes I did go to Aquarius and it was fine. I would stay there again. If you are looking for budget accommodation, this is a good place, but keep in mind it IS budget. I don't know what the other budget places are like to compare, but I was very happy here. Book early and ask for a 'front' room with a balcony overlooking the water. Angie, the girl you will email is really nice.
The balcony is huge. The hotel itself is small.... but all the staff are very friendly.
There are internet computers ( I can't remember how much, but not much),
there is a guest lounge, with TV , books etc.
The dining room is indoor/outdoors by the pool and overlooks the water. I had my breakfast outdoors by the pool.
It's a relaxing small place.
There were there waiting for me at the airport in the middle of the night as promised.
The only downside is that it isn't air conditioned. In Jan it was really hot, but perhaps Oct will be better.
Oh the food was good if you don't feel like going to town.
Good luck.

Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Kodi, thanks for the quick reply. Will email the Aquarius to check for availability.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Arwil, enjoy your time in Fiji. I believe the Aquarius is owned by a Canadian.
They also have a tour desk there at the hotel and will arrange tours for you.
Good luck.