Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   August 20 - September 18, 2008 Itinerary for Australia and New Zealand (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/august-20-september-18-2008-itinerary-for-australia-and-new-zealand-748229/)

RTR1944 Nov 12th, 2007 03:42 PM

August 20 - September 18, 2008 Itinerary for Australia and New Zealand

We want to incorporate as many places, within reason, that are mentioned in “1,000 Places to See Before You Die” by Patricia Schultz. Additional criteria are a minimum stay of 3 nights in any one location; emphasizing wildlife, scenery, and activity; seeing places that are unique to the area; and building in time to relax.

Please give me your input if the itinerary is practical (not stretched too thin), suggestions of places to stay (we are open to B&B’s, farm stays, etc), places to eat (we like to eat where the locals eat and have no dietary restrictions), and “must see” sights that I have missed.

Reservations have already been made in Sydney and Lizard Island.

August 20, 2008 –Arrive in Sydney, Australia for 4 nights
• Relax
• Opera at Sydney Opera House
• Day trip to the Blue Mountains
• Hike bridge
• Harbor cruise

August 24, 2008 –Fly to Hobart, Tasmania for 3 nights
• Relax
• Day trip to Cradle Mountain National Park
• Day trip to Freycinet National Park (Wineglass Bay)

August 27, 2008 –Fly to Kangaroo Island for 3 nights
• Relax
• Flinders Chase National Park
• Tour the island in a clockwise direction and pack a picnic lunch

August 30, 2008 –Fly to Lizard Island for 3 nights
• Relax
• Snorkel and/or dive
• Glass bottom boat

September 2, 2008 – Fly to Queenstown, New Zealand for 3 nights
• Relax - Skyline Gondola, walk to the top of One Mile Creek Trail to watch paragliders and haka show in the evening, luge ride, watch bungee jumping
• Flightseeing trip to Milford Sound
• Doubtful Sound

September 5, 2008 – Drive to Christchurch, New Zealand for 4 nights
• Take in Mt. Cook and Lake Tekapo on the way
• Relax
• Day trip to Arthur’s Pass
• Horse trekking

September 9, 2008 – Fly to Taupo, New Zealand for 3 nights
• Relax
• Day trip to Rotorua - Maori ceremonial feast
• Day trip to Waitoma Glowworm Cave

September 12, 2008 – Drive to Auckland, New Zealand for 3 nights
• Relax
• Day trip to Bay of Islands – sailing, diving
• Day trip to Coromandel Peninsula - hiking

September 15, 2008 – Fly to Tahiti from Auckland, New Zealand for 3 nights
• Relax

September 18, 2008 – Fly to LAX from Tahiti

Melnq8 Nov 12th, 2007 04:36 PM

Regarding Tasmania -

Three days isn't much time, and taking a day trip from Hobart to Cradle Mountain isn't feasible - it's 302 km (over four hours) each way.

Tasmania is worth as much time as you can give it - we've been there twice, spending over two weeks each time and we still missed plenty.

If you only have three days to spare for TAS, I highly recommend you base yourselves in Hobart and take short day trips, such as to Mt Field National Park, the Huon Valley, Port Arthur, Richmond, Freycinet/Coles Bay, etc.

Here's a list of drive times/distances for Tasmania:

http://travelmedia.tourismtasmania.c...ing_times.html

johhj_au Nov 12th, 2007 06:01 PM

Your itinerary is stretched way to thin. You don't seem to have accounted for actual travel times in both oz and nz..

you have got to have a reality check here...are you just ticking off destinations...

Got a chuckle at all those relaxes.

One of tassie or KI has to go.

LizzyF Nov 12th, 2007 07:53 PM

It will take one day just to get from Kangaroo Island to Lizard Island if not more. You would be better to put the time from Kangaroo Island onto Tasmania and at least get to see something. You will see animals close up at Cradle Mountain BUT you have to be there at night.
There is not much to do on Kangaroo Island and there is lots to do and see in Tasmania and in both places it will be winter.
You really could not do a day trip to Freycinet or Cradle Mountain it would be much better if you were to take a plane flight to Bathurst Island with Par Avion Air and get to see some Heritage Listed Wilderness area. They have specials through winter.

RTR1944 Nov 12th, 2007 08:13 PM

Could I fly into Cradle Mountain and use that as "home base" instead of Hobart?

johhj_au Nov 12th, 2007 09:04 PM

Look RTR...to be blunt...

the only way you are going to execute that itinerary is if you charter a small plane.

Melnq8 Nov 12th, 2007 09:13 PM

You can fly into Launceston and drive the 150 km to Cradle Mountain. Cradle Mountain isn't a base, but a destination. You can easily spend several days there if you like the outdoors - lots of nice walks and the wildlife is incredible (and nocturnal as Liz mentioned).

Devonport has an airport as does Burnie, but these are small airports with limited sservice.

This might help:

http://discovertasmania.com.au/home/...cfm?SiteID=179

Melnq8 Nov 12th, 2007 11:12 PM

Hi again RTR -

I was curious about your itinerary, so checked a few flights. Seems the flight from Sydney to Hobart takes 1:45 and from Sydney to Launceston takes 1:30, shorter than I would have guessed.

How are you getting from Hobart/Launceston to Kangaroo Island and from Kangaroo Island to Lizard Island, then from Lizard to Queenstown? I'm not familiar with these routes, so I'm genuinely interested in how many stops are involved.

Are you planning a day trip to Doubtful Sound or an overnight?

Personally, I think your itinerary is way too ambitious and you'll be spending most of your time getting from point A to point B with little time to actually relax and see the sights. Itineraries like this tend to make me throw my hands up in the air, but we all have different ideas about travel (and different energy levels!) and I'm truly curious about the logistics of your trip.

Good luck whatever you decide.

johhj_au Nov 13th, 2007 01:30 AM

set us a challenge RTR...list all the places in oz and nz that are in the 1,000 places book and we will set up a helter skelter itinerary.

RTR1944 Nov 13th, 2007 06:06 AM

OK - if I reverse KI and Tas, I get more flexibility out of Sydney (12 non stops to Adelaide versus 2 non stops to Hobart using Quantas). Given that, I would fly from Sydney to Adelaide, take the 30 minute flight to KI on REX (Regional Express). Coming from KI to Tas, I would take Rex to Adelaide, take a non-stop from Adelaide on Virgin Blue (the only carrier that has a non-stop) to Hobart. Then, I would go from Hobart to Cairns arriving at 12:50 and catch the 14:00 on Hinterland Aviation to Lizard Island.

Now, I finally get it! :) Going to Queenstown isn't going to happen. I would take the 12:30 flight from LI to Cairns arriving at 13:30 with Hinterland. Then I have no option other than to fly into Auckland and work our way north to south and fly from Queenstown to Auckland to catch the flight to Tahiti.

Pretty naive, huh?

I was planning just a daytrip to Doubtful Sound if that isn't too extreme.

Are the airlines pretty stable re: schedules? I've looked at length this morning at Quantas, Virgin Blue, Jetstar, Rex, and Air New Zealand but it makes me a little nervous to check times, etc. this early.

I've planned the first day of each leg to be filled with traveling.
Admittedly, the Hobart to Cairns trip and the Cairns to Auckland trips will be especially long.

The places in the 1000 Place book are:
Australia
The Blue Mountains and Lilianfels in New South Wales
The Hunter Valley Wine Region in New South Wales
Sydney Opera House and the Harbor in New South Wales
Arnhem Land in Northern Territory
Ayers Rock and the Olgas in Northern Territory
Seven Spirit Bay in Cobourg Peninsula, Northern Territory
Kakadu National Park in Northern Territory
Tiwi Islands: Bathurst and Melville in Northern Territory
Cape Tribulation in Queensland
Fraser Island in Queensland
Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea in Queensland
Human Island Resort in Queensland
Heron Island in Queensland
Lizard Island in Queensland
Barossa Valley in South Australia
Kangaroo Island in South Australia
Cradle Mountain National Park and the Overland Track in Tasmania
Freycinet National Park and Freycinet Lodge in Tasmania
Great Ocean Road in Victoria
Cable Beach in Broome, Western Australia
El Questro Station in Kimberly, Western Australia
Margaret River in Western Australia
New Zealand
North Island
Bay of Islands
Lake Taupo and Huka Lodge
Wharekauhau Country Estate in Palliser Bay
Bubbling Rotorua
South Island
Marlborough Wine Region in Blenheim
Grasmere Lodge in Canterbury
Grand Traverse
Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound
Mount Cook National Park and the Tasman Glacier
The Home of Bungee Jumping and Jet-boating in Queenstown

I'm open to a more sane itinerary if someone wants to give me some general parameters

LizzyF Nov 13th, 2007 01:05 PM

I really think that Kangaroo Island is over-rated and because you are going to some of the areas in Australia that have a wealth of flora and fauna it is not worth the trip IMHO and your time would be better spent staying in areas that offer much, much more because you really do not have the time AND you are not spending enough time in the areas that are worth spending more time in i.e. Tasmania and the GBR areas.
I also note that you have not included Jetstar in your airline list - they too fly to most capital cities and probably are the cheapest of the lot. The smaller airlines are very expensive for the distances they fly and that is another reason why I would not go to Kangaroo Island - the cost is not worth the effort either. I am sure you will find people who enjoyed their time there BUT they either had more time than you or were not doing the other places that you want to do. Frankly I don't even think that Tassie is worth going to for only 3 days - you won't have time for anything really and you are not seeing anything other than Lizard Island in the GBR - there is much more to that area that just the reef.
It is your holiday but I would put Kangaroo Island on a list for a second or third trip, even forth, to Australia and not on your first because it does not stack up again some of the other areas in Australia. Now if you had 6 weeks perhaps that would be different.

cheryllj Nov 13th, 2007 02:00 PM

You want to do a "day trip" from Auckland to the Bay of Islands? IIRC, the driving time between Auckland and Paihia was around 3.5 or 4 hours, each way. It would be an awfully long day trip, and you wouldn't have a lot of time for sightseeing once you got there.

If I were you, I'd spend at least one night (if not two) in the Northland to visit the Bay of Islands and Cape Reinga/90-mile beach. It's a lovely drive back to Auckland through the forest areas where the huge Kauri trees are located, also. Some of the biggest trees are located very close to the main road, with only a short hike into the woods, so it's well worth a visit.

RTR1944 Nov 14th, 2007 08:57 AM

Thank you LizzyF for your ideas - I have checked out Jetstar but the only nonstop I could find from Adelaide to Hobart is on Virgin Blue. Everyone is so keen on Tasmania, I may borrow a day or two from Sydney and/or Kangaroo Island to increase the stay in Tasmania.

On the New Zealand side, I'm thinking of abandoning the 3 day in one spot "rule" and going with the flow and drive from Auckland to Queenstown with one night stays over a period of 2 weeks. It seems to me that driving New Zealand will maximize the experience. Does that make better sense? I'm thinking of getting a good Bed and Breakfast book and stay overnight as we go. Any suggestions on a good Bed and Breakfast book?

Melnq8 Nov 14th, 2007 03:45 PM

<going with the flow and drive from Auckland to Queenstown with one night stays over a period of 2 weeks>

I assume you realize you'll have to fly from Auckland to the SI or take the ferry from Wellington to Picton to reach the SI?

We try to adhere to a three night rule ourselves, and it's served us well, particularly in NZ. It allows two full days to explore each destination, plus a parital day if the drive to get there hasn't been too long.

Taking two weeks to see NZ is a step in the right direction, but spending one night in each place won't allow you time to explore the areas you plan to visit. Sure, you'll see a lot of the country from the car, but you'll be packing and unpacking on a daily basis. Some people like to travel that way, so it might just work for you.

So, if you're now planning two weeks in NZ, what have you decided to scrap on your original itinerary?

Melnq8 Nov 14th, 2007 03:47 PM

Forgot to post these links:

www.bed-and-breakfast.co.nz/

www.bnb.co.nz

JohnFitz Nov 14th, 2007 07:45 PM

A couple of accomodation thoughts based on guesses about your budget etc .

I believe the Cradle Mountain Lodge is exceptional to stay at .I really like The David Jones Art Hotel in Hobart or their new property The Islington . And out of Taupo is Huka Lodge which is another top place I have stayed at once . wotif.com will help you get a feel for price .

As for Kangaroo Island ,a South Australian I know wonders what the fuss is about and why people are so keen to go .It is hard to get to in terms of time etc .Tassie is early Spring - gorgeous !

RTR1944 Nov 15th, 2007 09:43 AM

My itinerary is "under construction" and thanks to everyone, I'll give more days to Tasmania, less days to KI and/or Sydney, and do a combination of 1 -3 days at any given spot.

I'm thinking of just doing the Lizard Island Day Tour with Daintree Air Services which would free up more time in the GBR area. Any suggestions here would be most welcome.

Thank you Melnq8 for you B&B links and, to JohnFitz, the "1000 Places" book also recommends Cradle Mountain Lodge Tasmania and the Huka Lodge in Taupo but I was not aware of any good places in Hobart - thank you

LizzyF Nov 15th, 2007 01:23 PM

Its the Henry Jones Art Hotel in Hobart but I would suggest that you stayed in smaller but interesting and beautiful B&Bs around Tasmania as there are many of them that are either Heritage listed or convict built etc which are extremely lovely.
The Millhouse in Richmond is one that comes to mind but it has just changed hands and I do not know the present owner and if its up to its previous standard. Another in the north of the state is Woolmers and yet another gorgeous one is in New Norfolk and called Tynewald. In Hamilton, if people have time to stop there, are four gorgeous little convict built & fully furnished from that era houses with lovely little cottage gardens and just so comfortable. The list goes on and of course the Cradle Mountain Lodge is the best place to stay, cosy and comfortable and kind of Victorian.

Bradford Nov 16th, 2007 12:10 AM

Hi RTR1944

I think your drive up New Zealand idea is smart and sound. 2 weeks will be plenty of time to get a taste of things and you will just have to be philosophical about things you might miss if you end up getting the balance 'wrong' and having to rush things at the end.

Seeing the inspiration is '1,000 Places to See Before You Die' maybe a Kiwi's view of what is special about the country is useful...

First of all, the South Island is a genuinely beautiful place and I will be very surprised if you don't find two or three towns that you want to spend more than 3 days in, let alone a lifetime.

If you enjoy driving, just about any road you take will be delightful. We drove from Christchurch, across Arthur's Pass, to Westport, Hokitika, Franz Joseph, Queenstown, Dunedin, St Bathans, Oamaru and back to Christchurch last Autumn. The Arthur's Pass drive is stunning, quite desolate and in the mists of an early Winter, which it was, spooky. The West Coast towns of Greymouth, Westport and Hokitika are a bit woolly. The Pancake Rocks to the North are special, but a bit of a detour, I would forget them. Franz Joseph is very pretty alpine village, and the drive to Queenstown is very, very lovely. Possibly stay in Hokitika for the night. Maybe the beachfronthotel.co.nz. The new Ocean wing is quite nice. There's a good French restaurant in town too.

South of Queenstown I don't know so well. Mitre Peak is spectacular and peaceful, but it's been fifteen years since I was there, so not much help. I have never bungee'd and probably never will. I stayed in Millbrook a few weeks ago www.millbrook.co.nz and found it very relaxing. It's a conference and golf resort, but quiet, and sometimes that's a good thing to find when you're on the road for hours.

Queenstown and Wanaka are spoilt from tourism in my view. But it's a relaxing resort town and Arrowtown, like Stockbridge, is a picture perfect historical village. Cromwell has another colonial township which is in its infancy, but worth a look.

Dunedin is a favourite town of mine, and the Larnach Castle trip along the Otago Peninsula is like a trip through seaside Britain. The castle is an oddity, and the gannet colony is not far away so it's a double whammy of nuttiness and nature. Take a drive through City Rise above the city of Dunedin, there are many lovely Victorian Villas with magnificent views of the harbour. Have a look at www.mahara.co.nz for a nice B&B.

Travelling up the coast you have Oamaru, which has an eerie old township which looks like it's out of a Surrealist painting; sandstone buildings with no discernable landscape around them, just blue sky. There are many old craftspeople there, like bookbinders and musical instrument makers. Also a great Vintage clotheshop; Tiger Lily.

Inland, Lake Tekapo carries the ongoing South Island theme of loneliness and beauty, and the towns of Geraldine and Methven further north are a worthwhile route to Christchurch. Try the Classic Villa for the night. www.theclassicvilla.co.nz/

From Christchurch drive south again to Akaroa for a night. The perfect place to retire! Very sophisticated in a sort of Cape Cod meets French colonial sort of way. For a friendly B&B try www.labellevilla.co.nz.

Then back north to Hamner Springs for a swim, and Kaikoura for the whale watching. Blenheim is a good place to stay the night. Check out www.durville.com.

Now you're in the Marlborough Sounds area. I don't know this apart from the view you get from the ferry coming in, but what a view! It's worth googling, there's a terrific B&B somewhere along the coast in a private cove, I will see if I can hunt it down.

Another part of this district, again I haven't seen, is the Abel Tasman National Park. From what I hear it's probably New Zealand's most magic spot. I'm not a kayaker or a hiker so it's never made it high enough on my list, but don't take my laziness as a reason not to do it yourself.

From here, catch the ferry to Wellington. How many nights is that?
Maybe 8. That's starting in Christchurch. If you start in Queenstown you've got problems because you can't do the West Coast. It won't kill you to leave it out. But if you can do the round trip, it'd be fun. Two days in Queenstown allows you to do the things like bungee and Shotover Jet. That's nine nights. Only five left.

Regards

Bradford

RTR1944 Nov 16th, 2007 03:22 PM

Wow, Bradford, you must be a writer! I can visualize some of the areas by how you wrote! Thank you very much

Thanks, Lizzy, for your suggestions re: Tasmania. I will definitely look into that farther as I "drill down" and start finalizing things.

Any suggestions re: GBR?