Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   auckland..things to do in one day (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/auckland-things-to-do-in-one-day-765213/)

hypatia Feb 2nd, 2009 02:48 PM

auckland..things to do in one day

If staying at the airport for a day between travel what would you recommend to do .....shop maybe?

Bushranger Feb 2nd, 2009 05:05 PM

Depends on the hours you'll actually have available re luggage/customs and checking in requirements but yes there's a reasonable number of shops about the international terminal and can't remember on the domestic but only a ten minute walk between the two.

If you have a more lengthy day there's an airport bus into the city that takes about 30 minutes, the sky tower, more shopping down Queen Street and adjacent streets/lanes, the Harbour precinct and a few interesting pubs.
Maybe take a ferry ride out to Waiheke Island for something different.

hypatia Feb 3rd, 2009 11:06 AM

Im sorry ,I meant I will be staying overnight...
good to know! I can get the shuttle ...Im staying at the cento...I could walk back over to get the shuttle....there a mall I notice on google nearby...Ill hunt up Queen Street....whats the Waiheke Island like?

huett Feb 3rd, 2009 03:19 PM

Hi Hypatia
Not much to do around the airport area - take a shuttle into the city. From there you could:
- take the ferry across to Devonport, lots of boutique type shops, nice places for lunch, nice walks etc. only 10-15 mins each way.
- take the circular bus from the city to Parnell - go the the museum (world class) in the Parnell Domain, browse the shops etc.
- take a bus around the waterfront area to Mission Bay - stunning views out to Rangitoto Island. Heaps of outdoor dining available. Go for a swim at one of the many beaches, visit Kelly Tarlton's Underwater World, etc etc.

LaurenKahn1 Feb 3rd, 2009 03:59 PM

I had one day in Auckland at the end of my stay in NZ last summer. I spent the entire day at the Auckland Museum and that is where I would go. By the way, I would NOT stay out at the airport. Transportation to the airport from Auckland downtown is very easy. The airport is really next to nothing that I would "tag" as interesting and it is a good distance from downtown where you want to go.

ElendilPickle Feb 3rd, 2009 05:06 PM

We took the ferry over to Devonport, picked up a self-guided walk brochure at the information center, and enjoyed a leisurely stroll around town, with a delicious, inexpensive lunch at the Cod Piece.

The next morning we spent an hour at the Auckland Museum before we went to the airport.

Lee Ann

shedridt Feb 3rd, 2009 05:55 PM

If you do nothing else in NZ, you really MUST have fish & chips as you'll never have better!!!

My husband swears that we surely did not need to walk entirely around the civilized portion of the wharf to get out to the fish docks...but for my money, if I could have fish & chips even remotely as good - I'd walk it again. But then, I like walking...

If you are sensible & not so determined to hoof it - get a cab to go out to the fish market area. There are several restaurants out there & one big wine festivities place. Don't be discouraged by the awful fish places sort of inland, & avoid the wine festivities only if you must (husband doesn't imbibe...it's a wonder we're still married...), & so get out onto the somewhat less fishy smelling marina, get a table & sample some really nice wines & some incredible fish & chips - they offer two batter or crumb offerings & both are beyond belief. AND there's lovely wine by the glass...which gives you a chance to sample in a really rebellious mood if your husband is sulking over the long walk - best to avoid a prolonged sulk by taking a cab back into town, which the restaurant will instantly provide for you...

LaurenKahn1 Feb 4th, 2009 03:12 PM

The Cod Piece? LOL. I will be sure not to miss that if I ever get to Auckland again. Someone has a sense of humor for sure.