Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Attention Sydney Experts (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/attention-sydney-experts-597657/)

Europewithkids Mar 9th, 2006 02:54 AM

Attention Sydney Experts

I am considering an apartment hotel for my family (2 teens and a 10 year-old) for 6 nights in August that is located at the corner of Sussex and Bathurst Streets (Maestri Towers). Does anyone know anything about that location? Is it a good area, convenient for tourists, etc.?

If you know anything about Maestri Towers, that would also be appreciated!

fuzzylogic Mar 9th, 2006 03:46 AM

Hi there - whether it is a good area depends very much on you and what your expectations are.

I hope it will help if I try to explain the layout of central Sydney. You may or may not know (I didn't before I came here) that the heart of the city is squeezed into a peninsula jutting out into the harbour. Greater Sydney is full of peninsulas.

Anyway, running up the spine of the peninsula that is "Sydney" is a narrow-ish thoroughfare called George Street. It starts right under the Harbour Bridge in the area where the arrivals on the First Fleet started to build. It's the heart of the tourist city. Moving away from the harbour, and going south and uphill, you pass thru a nondescript sort of area that lives during the day - lots of corporate offices - and has a few upmarket bars keeping it alive nightime. Then you get to the shopping area (the QVB - the retail jungle of Pitt Street). Up the hill a little and you are in cinema land, and fast food land, and the part of George St I really dislike. On a bit more and you're cutting thru Chinatown.

Bathust St intersects with George st where shopping land ends and cinema land begins. It's not a bad place to be - handy for Town Hall Stn should you wish to take a train. It's a steep uphill climb from Sussex to George.

It's handy for Darling Harbour too.

It's fine for tourists who don't mind being a little way away from the main attractions. You can walk from shopping area/Town Hall Stn to circular quay/rocks (it's downhill) in about 20 mins - add a few for that uphill climb to George St.

No idea what the apartments are like!!

eschaton Mar 9th, 2006 06:15 PM

I think you'd be pleased with the location.
It's not really that steep a walk from Sussex Street to George St - an easy 5 min max. It might take you about 20 minutes to walk to the rocks and quay areas, but it would be a walk you'd take anyway if you wish to acquaint yourself with the CBD. QVB is a nice place to walk through.
Like fuzzy said, Darling Harbour is nearby (a 10 min walk); and walking down Sussex Street to Chinatown takes you to some nice eateries - the popular Golden Century is one.

Europewithkids Mar 10th, 2006 12:43 PM

Is the area relatively safe and appropriate for a family? Also, is it a noisy area (I know that cities are typically noisy, but is it an especially noisy location)? It sounds like a very convenient location for us.

eschaton Mar 10th, 2006 03:43 PM

I would be quite comfortable staying there with my own family. It is no less safe than other parts of the cbd.
The cinemas strip along George Street used to attract some rowdy behaviors on Friday and Saturday nights. But new street surveillance cameras and a beefed up police station nearby appear to have fixed the problem.
Where I would not stay with a family are Kings Cross and Oxford Street areas. But they are quite a distance away from Maestri Towers.
As for noise, again it is no less noisy than most other accomodations within the CBD. The quieter locations are those fronting the water eg apartments in Darling Harbour or Pyrmont would be quieter, but won't be as convenient for getting to places or transport. Or the really pricey ones at the northern end of the cbd fronting the habour/quay.
Be aware that Sussex Street and Bathurst streets are major city thoroughfare, and would have bumper to bumper traffic at rush hours. Having said that, you won't get traffic screeching at speed up or down those streets - so you won't get 'highway rumble' type of traffic noise. Also I'd imagine Maetri Towers like most hotels would be well sealed from city noise.
I am not aware of any major constructions at that corner at the moment. One year ago, there were lots of work going on because of the new cross city tunnel (Sydney's own Millenium Dome debacle).
Let's see if real experts like Fuzzy, Peteralan and others have anything to say.

prue Mar 10th, 2006 07:17 PM

My son and daughter-in-law have stayed there several times and found it to ok - despite being stuck in the lift for over an hour on their first visit!
However, they did find it to be noisy as there a number of bars/restaurants in the vicinity and at closing time there was the double whammy of traffic plus noisy patrons.
The reason for the repeat visits was the price as it oftens has bargain rates.

Europewithkids Mar 10th, 2006 08:40 PM

prue, do you know what floors they have stayed on (high or low)?

prue Mar 11th, 2006 02:58 PM

I am not sure about the floors - but considering they have only been there on 'special deals' I suspect it would have been on lower floors.
I would also add that we live in rural New South Wales so are more aware of street noise etc. than someone coming from the city.

Peteralan Mar 11th, 2006 05:18 PM

Thanks eschaton for that flattering description! I don't consider myself an expert but I do live here and like to help out when I can as I really appreciate it myself when I travel. Unfortunately Europewithkids I can't say I know much about Maestri Towers though I have seen it and is quite conveniently located for the CBD ( though not right in it) and Darling Harbour.I don't think the walk up to George Street will be too steep if you are reasonably fit. The only thought I had was that maybe it could get noisy but I have no idea whether that is the case. Hope it works out!

theshippingoffice Mar 12th, 2006 09:33 AM

I have stayed at the Maestri several years ago when it first opened and pleased to see they are keeping a tradition going with non-working lifts!
Not happy with the staff (reception and housekeeping) at all and thought the quality overall was not up to scratch.
We (couple, mid-40s) travel for business and leisure a fair bit and you can do much better than this.
Try the Somerset Darling Harbour or closer to the Harbour Bridge end of town the York Apartments (theyorkapartments.com.au). Also have a look at the Medina properties. Haven't stopped at The York Apartments for a while but apparently it's been refurbished and in any case is much "nicer".
Spend a little extra and you'll appreciate it.

Europewithkids Mar 12th, 2006 07:03 PM

Thanks for the review and the advice on other places. The York starts further renovations in July (I am not enthusiastic about staying in a place with extensive renovations under way), the Somerset does not have 2 bedroom apartments, the Medina Grand is sold out (for 2 bedrooms) and the Medina Harbourside does not have 2 bedroom units. I have inquired about a couple of the Meriton properties.

Suelynne Mar 12th, 2006 08:24 PM

Try the Saville Park Suites - conveniently situated near Wynyard Station and Circular Quay. We've been very pleased with them in other cities in Australia, namely Perth and Canberra.

Europewithkids Mar 13th, 2006 02:53 AM

If you are referring to Saville 2 Bond Street, their two bedroom apartments come with 2 queen beds and they will not add a rollaway. Therefore, 3 beds including sleeper sofa and we need 4.

Europewithkids Mar 13th, 2006 11:54 AM

I placed this on a separate posting, but thought I would place it here as well:

I am looking into 2 and 3 bedroom apartments for 6 nights in August. I previously posted about the Maestri and am now looking at two Meriton properties -- World Tower and Rialto. World Tower is at George & Liverpool and Rialto is at Bathhurst and Pitt. Based on prior comments I have received, it seems as if the Rialto is better positioned in terms of convenience and neighborhood. Does anyone have experience with either of these properites? Whether you do or not, any comments about the locations, including potential noise levels?

prue Mar 13th, 2006 12:22 PM

Hi again,
I have friends who have stayed at the World Tower and enjoyed it - the location is much the same as described for you at the Maestri - although closer to Chinatown.
They had a family of 4 adults and 2 small children - so I presume a 2 bedroom unit and had no complaints.
They said the view from their window on a very high floor was sensational, and because they were high there was no street noise.
Sorry you are having such a battle to find somewhere suitable.

Europewithkids Mar 13th, 2006 12:40 PM

Thanks. I am not really having a battle; I seem to have a few possibilities and I am just trying to make the best choice. Any comments on the location of the Rialto, especially as compared to the Maestri and the World Tower? Is the area a bit better or no difference?

Neil_Oz Mar 13th, 2006 01:12 PM

The Rialto at Pitt & Bathurst is the most central location, two short blocks from Town Hall Station and closer to the shops of Pitt Street Mall and surrounds, but there's not much in it, really - I think it comes down to price and facilities more than location.

The World Tower is on the corner of George & Liverpool, Liverpool Street being one block south of Bathurst. Maestri is on Sussex & Bathurst.

Sussex St is parallel to and two blocks west of George St (uphill, as noted); Pitt St is parallel to and one block east of George.

Europewithkids Mar 13th, 2006 01:28 PM

When you say, "not much in it," do you mean that it is not very significant? Any difference between neighborhoods? My understanding from other posts is that as you get south of Bathurst on George, the area begins to get less desirable. Is Pitt & Bathurst any different?

Neil_Oz Mar 13th, 2006 06:41 PM

I meant that Liverpool is marginally less desirable than Bathurst, but not positively undesirable. I wouldn't have any qualms about staying there, it's just that Bathurst & Pitt is closer to the action. It's two blocks (one north + one west) from Town Hall Station and the Queen Victoria Building, for instance. The stretch of George St south of Bathurst is closer to Chinatown but otherwise has little to appeal to a visitor. I don't live in Sydney but have walked through it many times day and night in recent years and not seen anything to deter one.

prue Mar 13th, 2006 07:07 PM

I agree with Neil that the Rialto area would be marginally better - but really think you would be ok at either.