Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Atherton Tablelands sound great, but have question.. (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/atherton-tablelands-sound-great-but-have-question-426152/)

donnaduemmel Apr 27th, 2004 11:07 AM

Atherton Tablelands sound great, but have question..

Does it sound feasible to fly to Cairns, rent a car, and drive ot the tablelands,staying 2 nights, probably in Milla Milla(?sp) or Ravenshoe?.Thought it would be fun to do the "waterfall circuit",etc and head over to Chllagoe.
For the way back, drive through Almaden and onto Port Douglas.Don't know if car rental allows that.Suggestions appreciated.

Daff Apr 27th, 2004 02:44 PM

Yes, that sounds very feasible. It would probably take just over an hour to drive from Cairns to Millaa Millaa. When are you travelling? After all the heavy rains we've had this wet season I imagine all the waterfalls up there will be looking really spectacular at the moment!

From there, up through Atherton and Mareeba to Chillagoe would be, I think, about 4 hours - if you wanted to take the all-gravel road from near Mount Garnet to Lappa and on to Chillagoe I'd suggest getting local advice at the time concerning road conditions.

I know that Avis and Budget allow their cars on formed, gazetted, gravel roads but you would have to check with other rental companies.

RalphR Apr 27th, 2004 06:01 PM

Sounds feasible, though there's so much to see in North Qld, I'd hope you are planning on spending more time in the area after visiting the Tablelands. Maybe policies have changed but Chillagoe could be off limits as far as most car rental companies go. We drove out to Chillagoe in 1994...we used a small local car firm and had to plead on bended knee for permission to visit Chillagoe and the Undarra Lava Tubes. I soon got the picture...it was one of the roughest dirt roads I've ever driven on, doing maybe 30 km/h. Worth it though!

Cairns-Milaa Milaa in 1 hr seems quite a stretch. The most direct route, up the plateau via Yungaburra, is exceedingly long and winding - a "small intestine" in the words of one of the locals.

donnaduemmel Apr 27th, 2004 07:02 PM

Thank you!!Upon reading off the internet from web address: atherton tablelands.com, is where I got the idea. It sounded like taking one of the highways(Kennedy) for ex, was the way to go. I did not realize that the only way to Chillagoe was via a gravel road.There sounds like so many great places nearby, maybe we could skip that...
We will be staying in Port Douglas ( in addition) for 4 or 5 nights. Can hardly wait!any suggestions for an in town place to stay with 2 teen grils appreciated. will be there 1st week of June

Fish_Boy Apr 29th, 2004 05:46 PM

G'day travellers,
Like your idea of doing the drive up to Atherton etc - should be more of it (hiring cars and self driving).

Regarding your stay in Port Douglas, there many many places to stay but really depends on your budget as Port is essentially an "up-market" kinda place. There are however, motels and even backpacker establishements... all of which I know as part of my job. So think about your budget and how old the kids are coupled with your expectations (salubrious or spartan) and I'll get back to you. Feel free to email me direct.

donnaduemmel Apr 30th, 2004 11:00 AM

thanks.. our girls are 15 * 18. wanted to sat close to town/beach so we could walk there. Yet, have found some nice places that would require taking cab/bus. We wanted to go snorkeling 1 day, to the rainforest another,etc. did not want to spend more than $120-15o american dollars.
Saw a resort named Freestyle( or freeport) right in town. Anyway, am confused but having fun and getting so excited.