Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arthur's Pass Wilderness Lodge

Can anyone who has stayed here please let me know what makes it worth £360 per person for the night? The place looks good but there is little description of the rooms on the web site, other than for the newer Alpine Lodge rooms, which are even more expensive.

As we are only stopping for one night, I'm not sure whether to blow the money on the Wilderness Lodge or look for somewhere cheaper. Does anyone have any experience of either Flock Hill Lodge or Bealeys Hotel or any other accommodation in Arthur's pass?

Many thanks, Maria
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:01 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Maria -

360 pounds each? Ouch!

Years ago we stayed at the Lake Moeraki Wilderness Lodge, which is owned by the same people. It was nice enough, but definitely a one time thing for us. The rooms were pretty basic, but the dinner and overall experience was memorable.

That's probably not much help though, so here's a review I found on Trip Advisor that might address some of your questions:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...th_Island.html

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

oops typo - I should have said $360 (NZ) each - still about £250 for the 2 of us for 1 night - or $490 each for the Alpine Lodge rooms.

I'm still blowing hot and cold about this - one half of me says it's a for a special occasion, so blow the expense, the other that I could stay at somewhere like Flock Hill for $120 for the 2 of us and have lots of money to spare for a blow out meal (or several). Will need to make my mind up soon...
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I hear ya, Maria. Personally, I'd rather spend the money on other things, but that's just me.

Whatever you decide, have fun!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Jed

We stayed at WL Lake Moerecki for 2 nights. They advised 2 nights to get the most out of the visit, and I am glad we did. A lot of what you are paying for is the activites, which occur throughout the day.

I considered WL Arthur's Pass, but it was more expensive and did not seem as interesting. WL Lake Moerecki was a Garden of Eden. It didn't hurt that, by a quirk of fate, we had the more expensive rooms at the cheaper room rate.