Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Arriving Cairns @ 11pm- is it safe to drive to Port D at night, or should I wait until the am?

Arriving Cairns @ 11pm- is it safe to drive to Port D at night, or should I wait until the am?

Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:55 PM
Laura in FL

I'll be anxious to settle into my hotel for several nights, however, not at the expense of safety. Am wondering if I should perhaps spend that first night in Cairns?

Thanks for the advice!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:22 PM
Shirley

If you are arriving after a very long flight and you are going to be tired then by all means stay in Cairns - get a cab from the airport to the hotel and in the morning get your car and drive to PD. If you are asking if its safe because of wild animals - yes, wild people - yes it is safe. About the most dangerous thing there is is the white Volvo driver wearing a hat. More to the point would YOU be safe to drive?

Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:54 PM
lcuy

Where are you coming from? If you will be driving on the left for the first time, or if you will be getting off a 15 hour flight, I'd say definitely don't drive. Rooms are very cheap in Cairns, and you can get a fresh start in the morning. The road to PD is not bad or unsafe, but it is a country road and very dark, as well as undivided in most sections.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:06 PM
Mina

Dark road, and CURVY. Almost got carsick several times If it's a nice day, you'll enjoy the beautiful drive more in the morning.

Apr 4th, 2002, 04:45 AM
scenery

uhm- if you are traveling here don't you have any interest at all in seeing the scenery? if not, why not have a friend blindfold you that morning, put you on a two hour flight to a nearby beach, take off the blindfold and pretend you are in australia.

Apr 4th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Laura in FL

Let me start off by saying thank you to my first three replies. This was exactly the feedback I was looking for, as I didn't know whether to expect a well-lit hiway, or a dark country road. Now, for the fourth reply - the cowardly one who dares not post his/her name or email ... I will be in Australia for 3 weeks, so I'm sure that I will be able to partake of the beautiful scenery .. right now, however, I'm imagining you with not a blindfold - but a muzzle, or perhaps, your fingers taped together so that you cannot be a sarcastic wimp thru the net.

Apr 4th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Dawn

Hi Laura,
I agree with lcuy...if you are not familiar with driving on the left side of the road, you may want to wait until morning, to both see the sites, and rest before trying a new driving experience.

We are going to NZ for our honeymoon, and AAA told us that there are over 100 tourists killed each year in driving accidents, due primary to confusion/inexperience over an unfamiliar driving situation.

If you can, I say wait until morning, get some rest, and due your first drive in the daylight.

Apr 4th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Dawn

oops - "do" your first drive, not due!

have a great time!

Apr 4th, 2002, 07:43 PM
marg

Welcome in advance to Australia - hope you have a great holiday.
Definitely stay in Cairns for your first night. The road to Port Douglas is two-lane, undivided for most of the way and windy - it's a reasonably good road but not good if you have had a long flight and are tired. You will enjoy it more when you are fresh and able to appreciate the beautiful scenery.
One tip - stop off at Palm Cove along the way - it's midway between PD and Cairns. It's a pretty little village on the beach - good place to stop for your morning coffee.

Apr 4th, 2002, 11:25 PM
David

Laura,
I'm with the others...stay overnight and get a good rest.

Dawn...100 tourists a year...how many locals??

Apr 5th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Laura in FL

Thanks again, folks ~ I've got my first night booked in Cairns, and am looking forward to morning coffee in Palm Cove

Apr 5th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Dawn

Hello David, I'm afraid that the article I read was specifically written by the New Zealand Automobile Association (www.aa.nz.co) in their guide for foreign visitors - it focused on the potential dangers if one isn't used to driving on the opposite side of the road.

It appears from your email address that you are in NZ, so I imagine there are plenty of sources to help you get the information you asked me(I referred only to the dangers for someone unfamilar with driving on the left side of the road, certainly was not downplaying any other traffic accidents)

As a good start, do visit the AA site, it is very useful, and likely provides the information you seek.

Best of luck in your search.

Apr 5th, 2002, 04:46 PM
David

Thanks Dawn. I was actually supporting your point that when driving in foreign countries you need everything you can get going for you. If that many tourists are killed in driving accidents each year and the new conditions they are facing account for some of those deaths then it follows that others on the road will perish with them...head ons etc.

Anyway. have a great stay here in NZ. I am sure you will. There is plenty to do and see but as you will find out many roads are narrow and winding.

Cheers
David

Apr 5th, 2002, 04:47 PM
David

Thanks Dawn. I was actually supporting your point that when driving in foreign countries you need everything you can get going for you. If that many tourists are killed in driving accidents each year and the new conditions they are facing account for some of those deaths then it follows that others on the road will perish with them...head ons etc.

Anyway. have a great stay here in NZ. I am sure you will. There is plenty to do and see but as you will find out many roads are narrow and winding.

Cheers
David

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Rick

I drove from Cairns to PD upon arrival after long 22-hour trip in the morning. It was okay, but never at night, with the bends in the roads and the rotary turns. If I had it to do over, I would take a bus or ride service (very cheap) and rely on services in town. I hardly used my car. If i took cabs or complimentary buses included in many reef dive trips or rainforest tours, i'd save quite a bit.