Archipelago Studio Apartments

Nov 11th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Archipelago Studio Apartments

Has anyone ever stayed in this property in Port Douglas? It was recommended as a moderate place to stay in Frommer's, but when I looked it up on Trip Advisor some of the people posting weren't all that pleased with it. A problem with ants in the kitchen. I'm not super squeamish about bugs (I lived in gulf coast Texas and dealt with any number of critters), but I don't want to stay in a dump either. Any other suggestions for a place to stay in Port Douglas?
Nov 12th, 2005, 01:04 AM

We stayed at Archipelago in the Port. The apts. are fine but basic and one consistant criticism is that they are small. They do face Four Mile Beach. If you arrive after the office closes they will tape the keys to the door for you. Be aware there are NO lifts, which we found challenging with luggage and several flights of stairs. There were no bugs and they will leave you purified water as tap water is undrinkable in Pt. Douglas. Owners very helpful on day trips and tour arrangements.
Nov 12th, 2005, 04:46 AM

Archipelago apartments are in Macrossan Street, handy to both Four Mile Beach and main section of town for restaurants. Some of the apartments have ocean views, much accommodation in Port Douglas has none at all.

Port Douglas has installed an efficient water filtration system and town tap water is quite fit to drink these days.

A temporary ant invasion is common in the tropics and not necessarily an indication of bad housekeeping, can happen anywhere.

Nov 12th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds pretty much as described in Formmers. And the price isn't bad.
Nov 12th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Five of us stayed in a 2-level veranda apartment and it fit the bill beautifully. We liked the convenience of the location and proximity to Four Mile Beach. It was plenty clean and don't remember any particular annoyance with bugs beyond what anyone could get in the tropics. Our veranda was right over a rather "wild" rainforest-sort of view. We had outdoor seating on it and had breakfast there every morning. The multi-level allowed us not to be on top of each other. Upstairs we had large bedroom, and down was kitchen, dining room, and sleep-in living room. Yes-I recommend it. Agree that owners were helpful with excursions. Also recommend Quicksilver for barrier reef.