Appropriate for a 13 day trip?

Dec 28th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Original Poster
Appropriate for a 13 day trip?

We are traveling for 13 days in New Zealand in February (flying in and out of Auckland). Below is our itinerary. We are ok skipping ChCh and the TranzAlpine, but felt as though we weren't giving enough time for the South Island. Any suggestions? Are we spending too much time in Rotorua area?

Second of all, we are having trouble getting from the North Island in Taupo to the South Island. At this point, we may just drive to Wellington and fly. We'd rather take a morning flight from Wellington than miss half a day on the ferry.

Day 1: Auckland

Day 2: Waitomo

Day 3: Rotorua (Rotorua Museum, Te Puia, Mitai Village)

Day 4: Waiotapu, Waimangu

Day 5: Tongariro Crossing

Day 6: Fly to Queenstown from Wellington

Day 7-8: Doubtful Sound for overnight cruise

Day 9: Day hike on Routeburn Track

Day 10: Franz Josef

Day 11: Drive from Franz Josef to Nelson (a long day driving but again we couldn't find any good flights)

Day 12: Abel Tasman

Day 13: Fly from Nelson to Auckland
Dec 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I think you're trying to do too much in too little time. You've left yourself no wiggle room for poor weather, cancellations or other contingencies.

You're moving almost every day. This drastically cuts into the time you have to spend at each location. For instance, Auckland to Waitomo is almost a three hour drive, Waitomo to Rotorua is close to 2.5 hours. I'd suggest an extra day for the Tongariro Crossing just in case weather is an issue.

Don't forget that QT to Te Anau/Manapouri for the Doubtful Sound cruise is a four hour drive one way.

Te Anau to Franz Josef is a 560 km, eight hour drive. You'll have no time to do/see anything at Franz Josef once you arrive, let alone participate in any glacier activities.

Franz Josef to Nelson is a 469 km, 6:45 hour drive. Nelson is still a 40-50 minute drive from Abel Tasman.

I strongly suggest you limit yourself to one island, or at the very least, visit both, but limit yourself to either the north or south of the SI...trying to do both is really stretching yourself thin.
Dec 28th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Correction: QT to Te Anau is a two hour drive. I was thinking Milford Sound, which is a further two hours from Te Anau.

Search this Thread