Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Any advice re accomodations for North Island (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/any-advice-re-accomodations-for-north-island-579209/)

greenjeans Jan 5th, 2006 10:03 PM

Any advice re accomodations for North Island

We will be on the North Island for a week in March (having already planned our 2 weeks on the South Island and our stay in Wellington) and need recommendations for: Napier area, Taupo area, Rotorua and Auckland (or alternatives, if you think these locations are NOT the top picks.) Thanks in advance.

Jed Jan 6th, 2006 07:21 AM

Some info as to how many people, and what your preferences are for accommodations would be helpful. ((R))

ElendilPickle Jan 6th, 2006 11:49 AM

I don't know your budget, but we stayed at the Lake Plaza in Rotorua and the New President in Auckland and were pleased with our rooms.

The New President upgraded us to a two-bedroom apartment; it was so nice to be able to spread out and repack (it was our last night in NZ), and the full kitchen was an added bonus.

It's in a good location just off Queen Street, a few blocks from the harbor.

Lee Ann

greenjeans Jan 6th, 2006 09:10 PM

OK, I'm new to this. Thanks for your input. Jed is right: I should have included in my inquiry that we are 2 active, mature adults, looking for value, cleanliness and a lack of pretentiousness. We're not opposed to comfort, but can't abide "gag-me cute." We'd like to spend under $150 per night, as we're outdoors people and we don't expect to spend much time in the room.
Thanks.

pjcrestwood Jan 7th, 2006 12:16 AM

Have you thought about visiting Whakatane about 90kms North East of Rotorua.Main attraction is White Island volcano www.whiteisland.co.nz
Other attractions are great beaches,scenic walks,whale and dolphin watching.We have a nice bed and breakfast with ocean views from all rooms.Would love to meet you.
Our website is www.crestwood-homestay.co.nz

wilees Jan 7th, 2006 01:18 AM

In Napier, the only flash hotel is the Scenic Circle Pania. However there are also a bunch of really nice motels on the Marine Parade. Like the Shoreline motel apartments.

I presume that is USD $150. If you spend that every night in NZ you are being ripped off. I would never spend more than $150NZD for a hotel room in NZ (usless it was a particularly special occasion). Nice Studios in motels will often be $100NZD.

Except in Auckland. But I can't help you there. I have only stayed in the The Heritage which was nice but overly snooty.

Jed Jan 7th, 2006 07:08 AM

I can recommend the Westminister B&amp;B in Rotorua which is NZ$120, very good value, but small rooms. If you like a B&amp;B, check out <b>http://www.westminsterlodge.co.nz/index.html</b>

In Auckland, we stayed at Quay West Suites right in the center of town, and loved it. It was a large modern hotel, but maybe more than US$150.

Check out <b>wotif.com</b> before booking, for good prices, although you may get the same prices by emailing the places directly. ((F))

Kiwis2 Jan 8th, 2006 01:51 AM

The Lake Plaza in Rotorua is really good and in a great location - if you have spent the first couple of weeks in NZ, you will probably have picked up supermarket dockets - check out the ones with the discounts on the back - Lake plaza is offering half price rooms, on presentation of the docket, up to the end of April. The &quot;superior&quot; rooms will only cost you $95 instead of $190.

mlgb Jan 8th, 2006 09:48 PM

If you have a car, &amp; want a bit of room to spread out, motels are a good choice, for the most part they are set up like small apartments with a stocked kitchen and separate sitting quarters. Housekeeping standards are generally high. The auto club has a free guide, online, at aa.co.nz. B&amp;B's or homestays are nice for meeting other travelers and the hosts. I've used Tresco B&amp;B in Rotorua.

MJTOO Jan 24th, 2006 06:21 PM

Check out the Duxton Hotel / Auckland. It is on the edge of downtown but is an easy walk into the middle of downtown...The neighborhood it is located in is quiet. The rooms include a kitchen...and the spa bath is worth the extra money. They have a web page.