Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > An ALF (or anyone else?)question about Moorea logistics

An ALF (or anyone else?)question about Moorea logistics

Jan 26th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

An ALF (or anyone else?)question about Moorea logistics

Hi there. Just wondering how to get to Moorea if our flight from Sydney doesn't get in to PPT until 1 a.m? Would we have to hang out until 6 am at the airport? Or are there any other options? Just wondering if it's not worth it to attempt with such an awkward arrival. We would be staying for 4 nights until our return flight to Vancouver. Or there are some other FP options that would work better with such a late arrival?
thanks,
CC
Jan 26th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Actually, the majority of flights arrive late at night and you have to overnight on Tahiti. We use the Sofitel Maeva Beach, it's reasonable, clean and only 3 km from the airport. It is not a luxury hotel.

Rather than a flight to Moorea, I would opt for the ferry. It's about $25US roundtrip and takes 30 minutes.
Jan 26th, 2005, 09:23 PM
ALF

Yes, it sure seems that a lot of the international flights into and out of Fa'aa are at awkward times. We have arrived at a similar time (2am). I must confess to being too cheap to stay in a hotel for a few hours in the early morning (although lots of folks do). By the time you clear customs with your baggage, it will be at least an hour later, so it doesn't seem to me to be too big a deal to hang around the airport for a few more hours until the bus or Le Truck starts running (between 5am and 6am). This is assuming that you intend to ferry over to Moorea, as opposed to flying. Either way, you'll have to wait 'till 6-ish, which is when the first flight goes out.

Not only am I too cheap to get a hotel, I'm also too cheap to fly to Moorea. Granted, it is a scenic flight, and you will get there faster, but the ferry ride is interesting too.

Search this Thread