Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Aitutaki Lagoon Resort Villa vs Aitutaki Pacific Resort (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/aitutaki-lagoon-resort-villa-vs-aitutaki-pacific-resort-448897/)

flexcrac Oct 29th, 2008 05:13 PM

Aitutaki Lagoon Resort Villa vs Aitutaki Pacific Resort

We will be going on a planned honeymoon next year and want seclusion, beautiful beach, good snorkeling and luxurious accommodations. Our first decision is Cook Islands or Fiji. Assuming the Cooks then it appears based upon pictures on websites that the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and the Pacific Resort are the most luxurious. I AM ESPECIALLY INTERESTED IN THE VILLA TE ARAU that is part of the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort. Can anyone please give me their opinions on Fiji vs Cooks and then hopefully can compare and contrast the two Cooks resorts and especially the villa? Thanks - Tracey

tropo Oct 29th, 2008 07:31 PM

flexcrac - unfortunately I haven't been to the Cooks Islands, but I have been to Fiji a few times. Close relatives of mine visited the Cook Islands 12 months, stayed on the main island, had great weather etc, then they flew over Aitutaki for 3 nights, and had lousy weather, loads of rain, flew back to the main again, had great weather, and they weren't that fussed on Aitutaki (mainly due to the weather, said the lagoon doesn't look that great in the rain)
Oh well, just have to take whatever comes along, sun or rain.
Without knowing the resorts you mention, I am sure they would both be good.
Comparing Cook Islands & Fiji is difficult, as both island groups have wonderful outer islands/resorts that would be equally good, especially Yasawa Islands of Fiji.

afterall Oct 30th, 2008 03:45 AM

Been to both and though I liked Fiji I thought Aitutaki was one of the most special places I have ever been. Flew in from Raro - a big expenditure at the time. Hired a bike and whizzed around; walked; went on day trip to the motos. Wonderful.

But stayed cheap and cheerful so can't give any advice on the choice you need to make. And it was ten years ago ..

Still, I think if I had the money and wanted somewhere special I would choose Aitutaki. I can't help with which luxurious resort would be best, but someone will.

All the best.

LordBalfor Nov 2nd, 2008 03:13 PM

Snorkeling in the area of the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort is not all that great. The channel between the Motu Akitua and the main island of Aitutaki had plenty of fish and even giant clams (at least it did before the last big typhoon took out the bridge (never rebuilt)) but the snorkeling there in the channel is risky due to strong currents and the presence of stonefish (which frequent the area).

Not quite sure WHERE the Villa Te Arau is on the island (I was last there 3 years ago - before the villa was built) but the main beach of the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort is often pretty cloudy and had (at least at the time) few fish (it's a dredge channel). The views from the motu however are breathtaking - far better than those at the Pacific Resort.

The Pacific Resort however will have better snorkeling in the general area. Water directly in front of the resort is a bit shallow (especially at low tide) but if you walk north up the beach a little bit the water depth increases a bit and snorkeling can be very good.

One comment about the weather. As a general rule Aitutaki tends to have sunnier/drier/warmer weather than Raro - mainly because Raro's high interior mountains serve as raincatchers - whereas Aitutaki's low hills (less than 400 feet max) are too low to do that.

Ken

flexcrac Nov 2nd, 2008 07:55 PM

Thank you for the information. Have you been to any of the smaller resorts in Fiji and if so how did they compare to the Cooks (Aitutaki)?