Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Airport hotels in Auckland,Christchurch and Queenstown?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am meeting my daughter in January 2013 for two weeks of traveling around New Zealand before she leaves for her job in Antarctica. Since the two of us will be flying different airlines from the states, I am wondering if anyone would like to recommend some airport hotels in Auckland,Christchurch and Queenstown that one or both of us can stay in the night before a flight? I am looking for something reasonable and has someplace close to eat nearby while waiting for each other. Thanks so much!
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Queenstown isn't very big, very easy to get to/from the airport from just about anywhere in town. Queenstown is so pretty anyway, I can't imagine holing up at an airport hotel, (assuming there even are any).

Many people like to stay somewhere along the lake.

If you're a light sleeper, choose your accommodation well...avoid anything that faces Shotover Street. There are some very nice condo-like units on the edge of town, towards the airport...we've had some lovely stays at Villa Del Lago.

If you don't care for the hustle and bustle of QT, another option is to stay in nearby Arrowtown. We usually stay at Orchard Cottage, which I highly recommend.

Christchurch does have airport hotels but do be aware of potential noise issues. It's another city where it's easy to get to the airport from just about anywhere in town in short order. But if staying near the airport is important to you, you might take a look at Commodore Hotel. We've stayed there a few times, but it's been several years. On our most recent visit we stayed at Merivale Manor, which we really liked - it's near the CBD, but it only took us a few minutes to get to the airport from there. Book soon as accommodation in Christchurch is still limited and fills quickly because of the earthquake.

Auckland is a different issue altogether...lots of airport hotels to choose from. We stayed at one a few years back, I'll post again if I can call up the name.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the hotels!
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
There is the Grand Chancellor near Auckland airport, we stayed in one in Auckland city and liked it well enough.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 03:02 AM
dkw

Another recommendation for the Villa Del Lago in Queenstown. Lovely, quiet units just a few minutes from the airport.

In Christchurch, after a midnight arrival, we stayed at the Sudima right at the airport. Its within walking distance from the terminal. When we were there several years ago, there was a plane load just arrived from Antartica checking in while we were. It's not fancy, but convenient.