Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Airport Hotel in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/airport-hotel-in-sydney-586166/)

jlpx2 Jan 29th, 2006 07:17 AM

Airport Hotel in Sydney

We will flying thru Sydney March 19. We arrive at 5pm and lfly out at 10:30am the next day. We will have already been in Sydney for three days earlier in our trip, so we dont necessarily have to be in downtown Sydney. Do you have any suggestins for hotel at the airport or nearby? Thanks so much. Jan

longhorn55 Jan 29th, 2006 10:22 AM

Last August we stayed at the Holiday Inn at the Sydney airport, booking our room online. We got a good rate and the room was much nicer than the ones generally found in the U.S. I don't know if they have a shuttle service as we had a rental car, but I'm sure you can find out via their website.

margo_oz Jan 30th, 2006 12:16 AM

I'd be inclined to head for one of the beach hotels, say Coogee or Brighton. Much more pleasant surroundings - and they're not too far from the airport - and there's no sense in having your last night in Oz in such a depressing area as the airport. At least have a pleasant meal, in a nice place, and get to the airport refreshed!

AussiegallovesUSA Jan 31st, 2006 02:55 AM

Yes, I agree, you must do SOMETHING on your last night. There is the Novotel Brighton Beach, where there are quite a few seafood restaurants within walking distance. The hotel has a great buffet restaurant and is 5 mins from the airport. Or if you end up staying at an airport hotel, spend your last night in an atmospheric area. If you like a "hip" atmosphere Newtown is an inner city suburb with lots of great little restaurants, not too far from the airport, and has a great night atmosphere no matter what night of the week you are there. Walk up and down King Street and sample one of the many ethnic restaurants and quirky shops. Some airport hotels are Stamford Sydney Airport and Holiday Inn Sydney Airport.

bhuty Jan 31st, 2006 05:35 PM

yeah nice idea but the practicality of it?

lets work it backwards:

10:30 flight so although you don;t have to you prolly want to be there 8am. That means getting in the cab at least 30 minutes prior (got to allow for traffic) depending on what beach you want to enjoy and it could be longer than that. That means getting up at soem earlier time (you do your own math).

Now look at the other end.
Arrive at airport 5pm, push through customs, fight the traffic to get to hotel. Ok so if you push hard then you can walk the beach and have a nice night but if not it can easily be 9pm and you ahven;t really gotten out of the hotel yet.
but hey if you like to be tired on the plane (like i do) then go for it, have a late night and not much sleep. It really comes down to what type of traveller you are i think.