Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Air BnB, a bit of a let down (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/air-bnb-a-bit-of-a-let-down-1469430/)

golfernz1 Aug 30th, 2017 07:09 PM

Air BnB, a bit of a let down

I have only used this booking site three times so far and only one ad. matched the actual accommodation. The first time I used it there were issues with faulty electrical cords, textiles like towels only fit for the rag bag and cleanliness. The photos posted did not show any of these things so overall it looked quite acceptable. The last place I used said that it had a fully equipped kitchen, this was far from the truth and the photo only showed a bench top with a microwave but no stove. I should have known. The bathroom was not photographed and was a wet floor bathroom, I didn't mind this but it should have been stated in the ad. The TV reception was terrible and for the area should have been corrected. I'm beginning to think that making money is the first priority for some of these Air BnB owners and not offering their guests a good enough experience. Does anyone from Air BnB actually visit these premises? Or do they accept their ads on trust.

Bokhara2 Aug 30th, 2017 08:20 PM

So rate the properties accordingly.

golfernz1 Aug 30th, 2017 10:18 PM

What is that supposed to mean?

Bokhara2 Aug 30th, 2017 10:55 PM

It means that, on every Airbnb listing, there is a place where the lodger and the owner can write reviews.

Did you not read the reviews on the properties you rented before making the bookings?

That's pretty basic research, whether it's a hotel, car rental, tour or Airbnb.

Melnq8 Aug 31st, 2017 05:26 AM

I assume these were in Australia?

I've not used Air BnB in Australia, but I often booked directly with private accommodation owners when we lived there. I had a mix of experiences, not all of them good. Margaret River was a particular challenge.

So far, I've had pretty good luck with Air BnB here in the US - I used them exclusively on a trip to Oregon last year.

But I did a lot of research, read every review, communicated with the owner if I had questions, etc. And then I reviewed them when we left and they reviewed us as customers. I thought it was a pretty good system.

If you were unhappy with your accommodation, you should write a review on the Air BnB page in question and explain why you were disappointed. Or better yet - send the owner an email and tell them directly.

janisj Aug 31st, 2017 06:48 AM

>>What is that supposed to mean?<<

Was that a serious question? If so -- POST your review on airbnb . . .

BigRuss Aug 31st, 2017 10:55 AM

<< I'm beginning to think that making money is the first priority for some of these Air BnB owners and not offering their guests a good enough experience. Does anyone from Air BnB actually visit these premises? Or do they accept their ads on trust.>>

Seriously? Do you not know how AirBnB works?

AirBnB is like a fixed price eBay for rental properties. Whoever has a home or rental property can list it for use by a renter. AirBnB does not own any of the properties and it doesn't engage in policing the listings. It connects renters with vacationers. It relies upon the honesty of the renters AND upon the vacationers who are basically obligated to rip the homeowner if the property is not as advertised. It also provides renters and vacationers the ability to contact each other with questions and concerns, which means you could have vetted the two rentals that dissatisfied you, especially the one you doubted based on its pictures.

If you don't understand what you're buying into, don't buy into it.

Bokhara2 Aug 31st, 2017 01:10 PM

I've used Airbnb here in Australia with great results. I did my homework, looked at the locations, reviews on Airbnb and corresponded with the owners before booking.

Friends have used them extensively overseas & the consensus is overwhelmingly positive, with only a couple of duds in a lot of different stays.

As with anything, research pays off & reviews, positive & negative, help everyone.

yestravel Aug 31st, 2017 04:26 PM

Too bad you have had not great experiences with Air BnB. I have used Air BnB quite alot including in Australia this past winter. All the rentals have been as pictured and pretty much what I expected. In Melbourne there was only instant coffee and no coffee maker. I contacted the owner thinking perhaps I hadn't found a coffee maker. He told me there wasn't one because there were many cafes right out the front door which was true. Now I make sure there is a coffee maker either pictured or mentioned. If not I ask. In Sydney we had an issue in that there was limited storage for our clothes. We informed the owner that something needed to be done to correct this and included it on our review of the apt. I do read all or most of the reviews if there are hundreds. I also do a keyword search for the things that might bother me, such as noise. It can be tedious looking for an apt to book for sure.

In your case I would definitely send a message to the owner to make them aware of your issues (as you should have done while staying there). But in addition you need to write this in a review and mention that you have informed the owner. Faulty electrical cords is a serious issue.

farrermog Jun 5th, 2018 12:18 AM

State of New South Wales/ Sydney update -

"Strata owners corporations will be given the power to pass by-laws that prevent short-term letting in their block if the host does not live in the unit they are letting out."

"Under the changes announced today, hosts based in the greater Sydney area will also only be allowed to rent out their homes for up to 180 nights a year.

There will be no automatic cap in regional areas, but councils can choose to impose their own limits."

Airbnb in NSW faces crackdown as Government moves to impose limits on apartment owners - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

tt7 Jun 5th, 2018 06:09 PM

Japan's Minpaku Homesharing Law, which requires all properties to be registered and limits rentals to 180 days/year, goes in to effect on June 15. Some reports suggest that up to 80% of AirBNB listings have been removed as a result (presumably AirBNB can police it as registered properties have a registration number - no number, no listing). The registration process is apparently complicated so it remains to be seen whether some or all of the now-deleted listings re-appear. For our part, we have used AirBNB in Paris, Lyon, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Kyoto (twice) and Tokyo, all without any significant issues. We have reservations later this year for Kyoto and Kanazawa .... so I've probably now jinxed myself. :-)

eliztravels2 Jun 6th, 2018 07:05 AM

"In Melbourne there was only instant coffee and no coffee maker"

Instant coffee is quite common in Australia and often that is what is provided in hotel rooms.

yestravel Jun 6th, 2018 09:14 AM

Our apt in Melbourne was the same. When I asked the owner said we had lots of coffee shops right downstairs which we did. Coffee was fabulous in Australia.

mlgb Jun 7th, 2018 01:55 PM

That's hilarious about the instant coffee when all we hear is how wonderful coffee is in Australia versus the US.

It used to be the same way in some of the coffee-producing countries in Latin America but many of the lodgings are slowly getting onboard although it might be filter or drip coffee at least it isn't instant.

yestravel Jun 7th, 2018 02:02 PM

The problem I had in SA is that they don't serve good coffee in cafes or restaurants. So it was instant everywhere. Australia has wonderful coffee in tons of cafes and restaurants, but for whatever reason the places we stayed pretty much offered instant in the rooms.

mlgb Jun 7th, 2018 02:46 PM

It has been a while since you were in South America, I believe, yestravel..admit it, you don't have recent information. Sorry you only had instant in cafes and restaurants, but perhaps you didn't try very hard or it has been a very long time.
Both Peru and Colombia now have coffee culture..

In Medellin, Pergamino (also at the Medellin airport) was fantastic, as was Cariņito Cafe and Cafe Aroma de Barrio (in Communa 13 no less). In Jardin, de los Andes and Macana at the town square.

In Barranco, Tostaduria Bisetti and in Miraflores, Puku Puku. In San Isidro 4D Gelateria (used to be at the airport also, not sure about now).

And if you layover in El Salvador, which I know is in Central America, be sure to have a coffee at the airport..

I can't vouch for Argentina and Chile, however I would be surprised if you couldn't find good espresso drinks in Buenos Aires given the strong Italian influence. My inexpensive hotel had a Nespresso machine! No instant there.

Melnq8 Jun 7th, 2018 04:18 PM

yestravel - for clarification purposes, are you referring to South Australia or South America? On this board, SA usually means South Australia.

Australia, as with the US and many other parts of the world, offers quick, convenient coffee in hotel rooms - that usually means bottom of the barrel - be it instant or filter. If one wants a proper coffee, one must leave the room.

I'm always quite chuffed when accommodation offers a Nespresso machine, although I tend to see that in Switzerland more than elsewhere. It's a trend I fully appreciate.

mlgb Jun 7th, 2018 04:25 PM

I apologize for jumping to the conclusing that s/he meant South America (if s/he didn't):)

farrermog Jul 25th, 2018 12:39 AM

Industry and community disruptors or models of the sharing economy...

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/pol...ml?logout=true

Melnq8 Jul 25th, 2018 04:53 PM

Fascinating article farrermog, thanks for posting.