Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

CAIRNS DAY TRIPS - UPOLU REEF? ECSTRASEA TOURS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 04:58 PM
CJ

Hi, I need information on recommended tours from Cairns, the Upolu Reef, and Ecstrasea.<BR><BR>Has anyone heard of the Upolu Reef, 30km off the coast of Cairns? <BR>The tour we're considering is on the Ecstrasea, described as a 60 foot luxury yacht. It came up the the "Cairns Tourist Info" site as a popular and recommended tour.<BR><BR>We will be spending a night in Cairns doing different day trips before going to Port Douglas. Several people I'm traveling with want to scuba while others are doing some land tours.<BR><BR>Green Island is the only other tour I can see departing from Cairns -- I don't want to take a tour that goes to Port Douglas first because I'll be there the next day and am planning on going on the Quicksilver tours.<BR> <BR>Any suggestions?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>CJ

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 08:27 PM
liz

Is that sea trip you are thinking about the one that goes down to Townsville and is a 3 or 4 day trip? If it is it is excellant, or so say my friends.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 03:47 AM
CJ

Thank, Li,z for replying, but no, these are one day tours. We'll be in Port Douglas on the next day but wanted to scuba while in Cairns. <BR><BR>Also found another scuba/snorkeling group in Cairns: MARLIN MARINA TOURS.<BR>Anyone heard of this outfit?<BR><BR>Any recommendations on operators.<BR><BR>I know the Quicksilver is good - but we'll be on that one in Port Douglas.<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR>CJ

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 12:36 PM
John

CJ:<BR>We took the Ocean Spirit from Cairns to Upolu Reef. Upolu Reef is nothing more than a sand bar but we enjoyed it. Upon arriving at the reef, we left our catamaran and boarded a glass bottom boat that is anchored there. Others on the Ocean Spirit snorkeled and still others went SCUBA diving.<BR>The view of the Reef from the glass bottom boat was well worth the trip, which took about 2 hours to reach from Cairns.<BR>Hope this helps.<BR>John

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:19 AM
dave

hey cj<BR><BR>i'd recommend passions of paradise as an operator for scuba and snorkelling (they depart from cairns). they go to upola and are reasonably priced as well as very professional. i stayed in palm cove and used them as my tour operator. their web is www.passionsofparadise.com.au. i e-mailed them with questions befor edeparture and they responded within 24 hours. "alan" in particular was a big help! have fun!