Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Advice on 7-day trip to Western Australia (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/advice-on-7-day-trip-to-western-australia-523902/)

alisa23 Apr 24th, 2005 09:10 PM

Advice on 7-day trip to Western Australia

I am planning a 7-day trip to Western Australia in early September. I am considering two options: 1) Port Hedland to Pilbara and Ningaloo Reef back to Port Hedland, 2) Broome and a short loop around Kimberley. I am interested in scenery and wildlife. Which trip would you recommend? My other options are to drive from Port Hedland to Perth or to drive from Broome to Darwin, however I am concerned that it will be too much driving for one week. What do you think? I will really appreciate any advice!

myaustralia Apr 25th, 2005 01:45 PM

Hi,
the Kimberleys are one of my favorite part of Australia, however you have to know that it is a huge area and very, very remote. To see some of the best sites, you have to drive long distances. If you want to do it, I would recommend a guided tour.
I went to Monkey Mia to see the dolphins, saw the pinnacles, Z-bend Gorge, Shark Bay and the area south of Perth (Stirling Ranges and the vineyards). It is a beautiful area with lots of things to do.

RalphR Apr 25th, 2005 07:21 PM

Haven't seen WA except for the Kimberley, which I thought was absolutely incredible. Took a 4WD tour from Kununurra to the Bungle Bungle Ranges and then along the remote, unsealed Gibb River Rd to Broome. Ian is right.... it is a huge area, and it is exceedingly remote. I think the GRR would be preferable to the main road, the Great Northern Hwy, mainly for the various beautiful gorges you can see along the way. However you would need a 4WD and you would have to camp. If that's not a problem, you could consider driving the GRR one way and the GNH the other. In my opinion, the Bungle Bungles are the most spectacular natural feature in Australia. They can only be accessed on the ground by 4WD. Without 4WD, you can see them by helicopter from Turkey Creek (on the main hwy) or by plane from Kununurra.

alisa23 Apr 26th, 2005 04:58 AM

Thank you for your sugesstions.
Could you recommend any tours of Kimberley?

fellowtraveller Jul 8th, 2005 04:16 PM

Hi Alisa,
I have toured Western Australia and would definately not recommend spending a week driving between Broome and Darwin, or Port Hedland to Perht, way too much driving time. Having travelled both paths that you are considering (Kimberley or Pilbara) I preferred Kimberley. It is more rugged and feels like the real outback experience. Gorges, big waterfalls (especially the Mitchell Falls), Aboriginal art, etc. The Karijini was beautiful, as is Coral Bay, but the Kimberley is packed with amazing places that feel like they have never been explored. I booked my W.A tour through a company called the Kimberley Safari Centre, you can find them on www.kimberleysafari.com - they offer both tours that you are considering. Good luck!