How to allocate time: bora bora, tahit, moorea?

Old Sep 19th, 2016, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to allocate time: bora bora, tahit, moorea?

Hello,
we are looking at spending 12-14 days in French Polynesia (excluding travel days from the west coast) in the fall of 2017. We're active early 60's, love to explore, hike, cycle, snorkel and scuba. Some beach days will be good but its not how we'd want to spend the majority of our time. I am looking for suggestions on how to allocate our time given our interests. Is 14 days too little time? Are resorts all inclusive or can we do things ala carte? Budget is moderate to high but not Four Seasons.

thanks all -
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 11:15 AM

For what it is worth, we enjoyed Bora Bora and Moorea much more than Tahiti - I'd spend the bulk of your time on those islands.
Old Sep 21st, 2016, 12:12 PM

I agree with RoamsAround. In three previous trips of about two weeks each, we've yet to spend a night on the island of Tahiti.

We're about the same age as you and have very similar interests, but have found that most of our time has been focused around water/lagoon related activities. Not that you can't hike, cycle, and explore, more that they're just not as easily accessible. Rental cars are expensive and road systems are generally poor, so an FP trip is not at all like going to Hawaii. We've rented bikes to ride into the village or around the island, or a car for a half-day self-driven tour to the interior, but we typically spend much of our time in/around the resort(s), and often sign up for a "half board" meal plan, because the resorts' restaurants are in many areas the best options.

As for how to allocate your time, scenery doesn't change much from one high island to the next; they're all beautiful. So maybe spend a week on each of the two that appeal most, one of which should be Bora Bora.

I may not be painting a pretty picture, but believe me, you will love FP. We're planning our fourth trip for the fall of next year, this time to the Tuamotus, and are way more excited about it than we were about any of the 10 trips we've taken to Hawaii in the last six years. If you think this may be your only trip, book at least a couple nights in an overwater bungalow. Nothing quite like it. Nothing quite like FP really....
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Great advice...thank you both!