Adelaide to Brisbane

Old Nov 18th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adelaide to Brisbane

I will be driving from Sydney to Melbourne (to tas) then to Adelaide over Christmas-new years plus. I have things arranged up to Adelaide.
Any suggestions on which way to travel from Adelaide to Brisbane without going over the same road (we will go down on the coastal road).
From what I can se I can go throug Bedigo back to Melbourne and through Albury. 2 through Broken Hill then Dubbo or
2. Mildura,Wagga Wagga..

If you have any suggestions as to which would be the most scenic route with less traffic but still things to do, please let me know.
Tropo, if you are still around, I think you could answer this one. I hope,./ Thnks

Gerrmack
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Gerrmack - it can get quite hot on those inland highway at that time of the year. If you like the desert or semi arid country, then take the Broken Hill to Dubbo road.
No doubt you have a map of Australia, so I would suggest Mildura, Wagga Wagga, Young, Cowra, etc. in my opinion its more scenic, and there is a lot to see. However, Dubbo has a great open plain type zoo.
If you find the heat too much, by the time you reach Adelaide, then return the hire car & fly from Adelaide to Brisbane.
Old Nov 18th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi Tropo,

Thanks for getting back to me. Actually I do have a map but did not consider the heat which neither of us like. I will take your suggestion and go through Mildura etc.
I usually don't like to drive the same road twice as I like to see as many different things as possible.

We leave in just over 24 hours and I want to thank you for all the messages you have sent. Much appreciated.

Gerry
Old Nov 19th, 2004, 11:41 AM

Enjoy your holiday.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 04:54 AM

Actually I don't think there will be much difference in temperature between the Broken Hill route and the more southerly route via Mildura across the Hay Plain. They are both still well inland. Personally, I'd go via Broken Hill and take the opportunity to taste some of the real Outback. If you've seen the movie "Mad Max", which was filmed in the area, you'll know what I mean. Also Broken Hill is now a major artistic center, I hear, largely due to the influence and fame of a former local miner, Pro Hart.

Further east, don't miss the wonderful Warrumbungle Ranges National Park outside Coonabarabran. And if you take a little time to detour here and there, the New England region, including Armidale, Glen Innes and Tenterfield, has a lot to offer. Bald Rock and Girraween NPs, outside Tenterfield are excellent!! HUGE granite formations with great short hikes and wildlife.

There is even more to see as you get closer to Brisbane, most notably Lamington NP, Mt Warning, and the Numinbah Valley. I really like the scenic Mt Lindsay "Highway" connecting Tenterfield with Beaudesert. Don't miss the short detour to the base of Mt Barney along the way.