Adelaide Kangeroo Island

Jun 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Adelaide Kangeroo Island

We are going on OAT to Australia in December. On a free day in Adelaide they offer a side trip to kangaroo Island. IS this a place worth seeing or do you recommend other activities in Adelaide. I know this is a stupid question but where is the best place to see Kangaroos in Australia. We are going to Sydney , Melbourne, Ayers Rock and Cairns.Cape tribulation.

Thanks you for not laughing at me.
Jun 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM

you can see kangaroos at all thos eplaces -depends on whereabouts you are staying in each eg kangaroos abound in some suburban Melbourne golf courses.
Onc ewe drova all around Victoria and didn't see one kangaroo and then coming back home 3 kms from our house we saw many.
Jun 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM

Around Sydney there are two places you can easily see kangeroos.At Kuring-gai National Park (northern suburbs of Sydney) there's a wildlife enclosure, I think it's called Kalkahri, there are also wallabies which I think are much cuter.

Near Glenbrook in the Blue Mountains. There are introduced kangaroos in the section of the national park behind the information centre.

If all else fails, there's Taronga Park Zoo, highly recommended for animals that are very hard to spot in the wild--like platypus. I've only seen one in the bush.
Jun 29th, 2008, 04:59 AM

Several years ago while on a 3-week trip to Australia we did an overnight trip to Kangaroo Island and we LOVED IT! We saw so many different animals (not just kangaroos) plus the island has beautiful scenery. Because we did an overnight, the first day concentrated on the wildlife and the second day was "taste of Kangaroo Island." We visited a bee farm where we had honey ice cream; a eucalyptus oil distillery where we learned how oil is extracted from the tree; the Island Pure Sheep Dairy where we tasted wonderful cheeses; the Gum Creek Marron Farm where we had afternoon tea and got to taste marron (freshwater lobster farmed on the island); as well as an animal sanctuary. So, my recommendation is 'go for it.'
Jun 29th, 2008, 07:44 AM

Since I doubt that your tour will take you to the golf courses of Melbourne or Kuring-gai Park, your best bet for seeing kangaroos outside of a zoo will be on Kangaroo Island.
We've been to Kangaroo Island twice and our first visit was a day trip, probably similar to what they are offering you. In that short time, we saw a fair amount of wildlife--seals, sea lions, kangaroos, wallabies, koalas and an echidna (a rare occurance). We also saw some amazing scenery--Little Sahara sand dunes, the Remarkable Rocks, Admiral's Arch and Flinder's Chase National Park. I'd definitely suggest you take this day trip if you want to see wildlife on your visit to Australia.
Jun 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM

I probably should know ... but what's OAT? I know it won't be Old Age Tours
Jun 29th, 2008, 11:58 PM

I don't know what OAT is either! I thought it might be a snappy abbreviation like BTW!
Jun 30th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Overseas Adventure Travel--a small-group travel company.
Jul 1st, 2008, 12:36 AM

Thanks Longhorn.
Jul 1st, 2008, 08:50 AM

I visited KI last month and I can't recommend it enough. Admirals Arch and Remarkable Rocks offer amazing scenery as do the other trails within Flinders National Park. The Hanson Bay nocturnal tour and the Sea Lion tours at Seal Bay are also must dos if you want to see wildlife.

Ken
Jul 1st, 2008, 05:20 PM

KI is worth seeing, although for a day trip, you'd have to fly early morning from Adelaide. It would be hopeless trying to use the ferry.

You should be able to book a tour before you leave. This is a good site: http://www.kangarooislandtours.com.au/tours.htm

You could do the the ferry, but it would be an exhausting and very long day.

Alternatively, if it's only wildlife you are interested in, Adelaide's Cleland Wildlife Reserve is about a 30 minute drive from the CBD, and you can see kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, koalas, emus etc etc and do it all in about 3 hours.
Jul 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. You have been very helpful. FYI, OAT is owned by the same people who own Grand Circle. OAT is for the younger more adventurous. Lots of national parks, smaller hotels, and one night we are staying on a sheep farm. This is the first time we are traveling on a tour so I will let you know what I think. Another plus is that our group is limited to 16 people.

Search this Thread