Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Adelaide in June (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/adelaide-in-june-663896/)

mbd227 Dec 12th, 2006 11:12 AM

Adelaide in June

My husband must be in Adelaide on business around June 1 2007. I am trying to decide whether or not to accompany him; we live in the eastern US. At this time of year, what is the weather likely to be like, in Adelaide and in Tasmania - we are thinking of going here after Adelaide - if I make the trip. Are there "must see" places near Adelaide? I have been to Sydney and GBR on a previous trip. We enjoy visiting cities as well as visiting parks and seeing wildlife. Thanks.

harzer Dec 16th, 2006 06:50 PM

The weather in Adelaide in June will be cold and unpleasant, in Tasmania even worse.

I reluctantly live in Adelaide and usually take myself off to Queensland, to Asia or to Europe in our winter months, as it is rather dreary here.

As to must-see places I can not recommend much other than a trip up to Ayers Rock.

Harzer

shandy Dec 16th, 2006 07:38 PM

As you enjoy parks and wildlife, have you considered doing a 2-3 day tour of Kangaroo Island as you are so close. If you do a search here you will find lots of info.

Neil_Oz Dec 16th, 2006 08:04 PM

I spent several winters in Adelaide after moving there from Sydney, and while it's obviously not the best time of the year I didn't find it too bad. Average May temp range is 9-18C, June 7-16C, often grey and possibly damp. Not great weather, but by most people's standards cool rather than outright cold. Personally, I wouldn't be deterred. To my mind the most uncomfortable time of the year in Adelaide is its foul summerl we don't all share the same reaction to a given climate.

The wine regions around the city, and the Adelaide Hills, are its chief attractions to my mind. The city itself is very pleasant, with excellent dining options and a nice cultural precinct on and around North Terrace.

I'm not a big fan of Kangaroo Island, but I recognise that many visitors have enjoyed their time there.

PaulS Dec 17th, 2006 12:59 AM

Harzer, what disappointing responses to my hometown (it's OK, I don't live there)! But mbd227 you don't need to travel the 2000km to Ayers Rock for lack of other options! Adelaide isn't Sydney or the GBR - its charms are more subtle - great food, wine and architecture on a domestic scale. If these interest you, planning ahead for some great dining experiences will pay off. Early winter/late autumn is likely to be cool but not miserable, and probably not even damp given recent weather patterns. Terrific wineries abound, closer to the CBD than any other wine region relative to its State capital, good for daytripping (try Southern Vales, Barossa Valley or even Clare Valley further afield). The Adelaide Hills will likely still be autumnal, and good restaurants and galleries are worth a visit. If you like architecture, visit Hahndorf with its 1840s German houses. Adelaide itself has wonderful Victorian buildings - mostly the streetscapes in Adelaide and North Adelaide are intact. The cultural precinct Neil refers to is charming - Parliament, Government House, Library, Museum, Art Gallery, Conservatorium, University and Botanic Gardens all adjacent in a single mile of cultural buildings on North Terrace. Museum has the best ethnographic collection of Aboriginal artefacts in the country. The weather won't be miserable, but you'll likely pursue indoor activities. Further afield, Adelaide is closer to "the outback" than the other capitals (relatively) so you can drive for a couple of hours north and be in the wonderful rugged Flinders Ranges (terrific in winter - no flies, loads of wildlife!). You can certainly see wildlife on Kangaroo Island (but KI WILL be cold then and I share Neil's bemusement about why people love it so) or close to the city at Cleland Reserve at Mt Lofty (you can hold koalas etc). Yes, Tasmania will be colder but some find the southern winter cosy and romantic - it's also B&B heaven.

DownUnder Dec 17th, 2006 11:19 PM

You can always come across to Melbourne for a couple of days only an hours flight away. The best shopping in Australia, the best restaurants in Australia the best Art Galleries in Australia and the best place to watch Aussie Rules (if your interested) at the MCG!

egerstan Dec 18th, 2006 02:34 PM

We were in Adelaide last two weeks of May last year to visit my daughter who was studying there. While it wasn't warm, it wasn't too cold with a sweater under a light raincoat. We enjoyed a weekend trip to Kangaroo Island and were told it's a good time to visit there because there are fewer visitors and it is greener than in the summer. And it was a wonderful wildlife and scenic experience!! We also had a pleasant day in the Barossa, again provided you wore warm layers. And we loved Adelaide itself including the Glenelg area!