Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   accomodations Brisbane, places to go (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/accomodations-brisbane-places-to-go-268734/)

Paul Palmatier Oct 26th, 2002 10:23 PM

accomodations Brisbane, places to go

I am my family of five are coming to Brisbane and Sydney for two weeks beginning the 16th of November. We haven't made reservations for places to stay or confirmed the places to go. Does any one have recommendations for hotels or BB for a family of five? Also, does anyone have suggestions for places to see, sailboat trips, tours, etc. With five in our group we want to have a great trip and also find economy in numbers if that is feasible. Thanks for any suggestions. Paul

liz Oct 28th, 2002 09:32 PM

Still cqnt get used to the French keyboard but hre goes....... Instead of staying in Brisbane go to the Gold Coast where there is far more things to do and a better selection of places to stay. <BR>Try perhaps something at Sanctuary Cove for a week in a rented Apt or home because that would be cost effective and very nice. It is only '&agrave; minutes drive then to Brisbane if you need to go or you can get the train close by. OR Stay in a cottage on Tamborine Mt if you dont want the beach OR stay at Broadbeach on the Gold Coast in an Apt. November is quiet zith the exception of Schoolies which would drive u mad and hence the suggestion of Sanctuary Cove because they - schoolies - would not be there. I am back in OZ early next zeek so can anszer the question better then.

liz Nov 3rd, 2002 12:30 PM

Well I am back from France and able to use a &quot;normal&quot; keyboard where the keys are where one expects them to be and not all over the place. <BR>Firstly are you committed to Brisbane?<BR>What are your likes and dislikes?<BR>What do you want to see?<BR>How much do you want to pay?<BR>It will be much easier to answer your question if I have the answers to those points.<BR>

tongsa Nov 4th, 2002 12:09 AM

And, may I add to my questions - How is Deception Bay area? Or is it better to move further north? My idea is to use Brisbane more as a stepping stone enroute cairns. Plan to spend 2 days around that part after Gold Coast. How far would Tamborine/Eagle Hts be form Brisbane and Coolangatta area? Thanks.

Daisy Nov 4th, 2002 02:16 AM

DECEPTION BAAAAAY???? Do you have family there? Or did you just like the name? I won't say more until I'm sure I'm not insulting your relatives.

tiongsa Nov 4th, 2002 03:55 AM

Neither. Saw a homestead that looked nice! So much for the sights!!!

liz Nov 4th, 2002 01:18 PM

Well Deception Bay is the pits - relatives or no relatives there so you can forget that place unless you really want to experience a low socio-economic areas whilst in OZ. <BR>Tamborine Mt/ Eagle Heights is about 40 minutes to Brisbane and a bit less to Coolangatta and is in the hills behind the Gold Coast. I used to have a B&amp;B here but have sold it but still live up on the Mountain. Most of the B&amp;Bs do not take children although there are a couple which have a family 'flat' which would be suitable for you - if you are interested please let me know and I will give you their information. <BR>As you have not said what your interests are so its still difficult to suggest the best place for you to stay. <BR>

Lin Nov 5th, 2002 05:31 AM

My rellies live in Deception Bay - but 'facts is facts' as they say. Poor things!

liz Nov 5th, 2002 12:02 PM

My poor B... hubby used to work in Redcliff/ Deception Bay area and that was enough for him.

tongsa Nov 5th, 2002 03:15 PM

Thanks Liz. Mt Tamb and all - was really looking for a base, ideally a farmstay type but not too far from the beach so that we have the option of spending a day/ahlf day at the seafront, do Currimbin, Koala reserve, Seaworld...<BR>I have noted that most acco is for couples - so now am thinking of the beach side- Gold Coast. I noted your recco on Sanc Cove - I thought the Hyatt is quite expensive? Also saw something on Couran Cove - looks costly as well. So, am now thinking of Coolangta or Broadbeach apt-type. <BR>Thanks.