Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   accommodation with kitchen(ette) (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/accommodation-with-kitchen-ette-245645/)

Mary Aug 3rd, 2002 09:37 AM

accommodation with kitchen(ette)

Do you know of any economical, clean, cool accommodation for a husband and wife that also have a kitchen or kitchenette and include a private bathroom/toilet in the following places?<BR>Sydney, Cairns, ADelaide, Barossa Valley, Melbourne, Tasmania, Canberra, Hunter Valley?

liz Aug 3rd, 2002 03:39 PM

Heaps and heaps of them: Firstly try www.wotif.com and search around these places for what is available for the last minute accommodation and you can get a run down on each and check with them individually as to their regular price.

marg Aug 3rd, 2002 08:33 PM

I can recommend two caravan parks that have good self-contained cabins. Try the Barossa Valley Tourist Park at Nurioopta. Facilities were good and the park spotlessly clean and the park is walking distance from the town.<BR>In Cairns, you could try Crystal Cascades Caravan Park. Again spotlessly clean and good facilities.<BR>You can check out prices and find more parks with cabins on www.big4.com.au and www.toptouristparks.com.au

Mary Aug 7th, 2002 11:38 PM

In Melbourne try Quay West at Southbank - very central, probably not in the bargain $ range but worth it and they do sometimes have good web site deals. There are lots of apartment style rentals around Melbourne as well that I haven't tried. Quest have quite a few - with one new one also near Southbank & a few in the CBD.

Alan Aug 8th, 2002 05:10 PM

Hi, Mary!<BR>Wow! That itinerary is going to be an expensive holiday, if you want a kitchen each time! I have never before recommended the Napoleon Apartments in Kent St, Sydney, because the building is actually UNDER the freeway overpass, which looks, to say the least, bizarre.... but their apartments are advertised as "from $79 a night", (that's AUSTRALIAN dollars) so if you find that your requirements are stretching your budget, they may be worth contacting. Despite their strange location, Kent Street is just at the back of the Rocks area, and five minutes' walk from places like the Menzies or the Regent, which charge three times the price.

Laurie Aug 10th, 2002 12:00 PM

In Sydney there is the Hyde Park Plaza Hotel. I've stayed there several times and it's clean, centrally located, all apartments have full kitchens (from studios to two bedroom) and it's reasonably priced, especially with the Australian dollar now worth about 52 cents American. From your email address, I see that you're from Canada so it will cost you a bit more than it would me, but still a bargain. They are located at 38 College Street. Each apt. also has private bathroom with tub and shower. I haven't been to Sydney in about 3 years but unless the hotel has changed, it should be nice.

Sue Aug 15th, 2002 01:30 AM

Hi Mary<BR>Try The Chifley at Bourke street in Melbourne. Stayed there in January and found the one-bedroom apt spacious, it has a kitchenette. It's in the heart of town, very convenient location. Here's the website :<BR>http://www.chifleyhotels.com/hotels/...rke/index.html

SG Aug 16th, 2002 04:01 PM

As Alan stated, Kent on Napoleon is under the freeway but was quite convenient. We stayed there for 4 nights last Sep. We had a studio with kitchenette with couch & private bathroom for very reasonable prices. It was only 2 blocks away for a grocery store and minutes from buses & trains. We were able to walk to Darling Harbor, the Rocks. It also have laundry facilities. The room was very clean, quiet and I'd stay there again.

Gunga Din Aug 16th, 2002 06:56 PM

In Cairns try the Royal Harbour Tradewind, right on the Esplanade and come equipped with kitchen, washing machines, ensuite etc.

Serena Aug 19th, 2002 05:43 PM

We stayed at the Oakford Gordon Place in March in Melbourne, on Little Bourke St, near Chinatown. We had a one bedroom with living room and small kitchen for about $70 US/night. It has a pool and restaurant and is close to all transportation, shopping and some good (Italian and Greek) restaurants. Ask for Edward, he was wonderful. Serena