Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Accom - NSW Sth coast - 7 adults, 3 kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/accom-nsw-sth-coast-7-adults-3-kids-758145/)

underpants11 Dec 25th, 2008 06:14 PM

Accom - NSW Sth coast - 7 adults, 3 kids?

Hi guys - any suggestions for larger places to stay around the stretch from Jervis Bay to Bateman's Bay. Need something for 3 couples, 1 granny and 3 kids. Ideally need a property with an option for privacy for each of the families but with communal areas for eating, hanging out etc. Looking around September time so also need a couple of options other than the beach for entertainment. Thx.

DalaiLlama Dec 27th, 2008 03:23 PM

Are you sure you want to do this? In September? The NSW South Coast? Brrrr....

There won’t be much “beach entertainment” as you put it, it’s still pretty rough down there in September, too cold by far for swimming unless you’re the tough wetsuit-surfer types?

And there won’t be much else to do, either, not down that way. Bring all the scrabble and nintendos you can muster... Yawn...

At least you won’t have competition from locals, it’s not the season yet, and the nearest long weekend is Labour Day on Oct. 3rd.

For lodgings - that is a tough one - not too many properties will conform to those requirements.

Your best bet is to look at these websites then to call - allow for the time difference, punch in your access code for an international line (in the US it is 011) and 61 (Australia) and the number (skip any leading zeroes, they are only for calls from within Australia).

If you are convinced the NSW South Coast is it for you - check out these:

www.huskissonbeachtouristresort.com.au/ Huskisson Beach Tourist Resort, Beach Street, Huskisson NSW 2540. If Phoning from Outside Australia Phone: (+ 61) 2 4441 5142

www.jervisbaytourism.com/posting/jervis_bay.asp - phone the various businesses listed

www.shoalhavenholidays.com.au - Mail Enquiries: Shoalhaven Tourism Board Shoalhaven City Council PO Box 42 NOWRA 2541 Tel: ++61 (0)2 4421 0778 Email: [email protected]

Sure you don't want to switch to, say, the Sunshine Coast - it is still not really for swimming in September but a lot friendlier than the NSW South Coast, since it is a long way further up the coast:

Quoting from www.sunshinecoast.com:

"The Sunshine Coast could well have one of the most ideal climates in the world. With an average of 7 hours of sushine a day, the Sunshine Coast really does live up to its name. During the summer months from December to February the temperature ranges from 17 - 28 degrees and are offset by cool sea breezes. The winter months are mild and while it might be a bit cold for swimming the beaches are still busy with visitors and locals enjoying the sun.

The first few months of the year receive 300mm of rainfall dropping off to 40mm in the winter months."

Check out www.queenslandsunshinecoast.com/ - Queensland Sunshine Coast Apartments Noosa Accommodation
Ph: +61 7 55000671 - Fax: +61 7 55000670
Email: [email protected]

and

www.sunshinecoast.com/accommodation

underpants11 Dec 28th, 2008 01:35 PM

Thanks Dalai - I've actually lived in Melbourne for the last 15 years so I reckon we'll be able to handle a temp in the high-teens :) although Melbourne in late September is often stunning weather so I'm assuming it will be at least a little warmer than that. Very familiar with (and partial to) the Sunshine coast etc but one of those joining us has skin cancer issues so I'm trying to avoid somewhere where she has to be conscious of staying out of the sun all day.

Anyway, thanks for the websites, I'm really looking for personal recommendations (any other ideas on where I should direct my enquiries?) but I will certainly give those organisations a buzz and see if they can recommend anything.

Cheers

DalaiLlama Dec 28th, 2008 08:04 PM

Melbourne, crikey - and I thought you might be a septic who's not cluey about Sep. in NSW, Mate...
I stay often at a weekender that belongs to some friends, it's in Berry (and not for rent...), so I know the area well. But not well enough to know about a setup that would suit your difficult requirements. Let's hope somebody does, but meanwhile give'em all a tingle, every bit of help will be needed

underpants11 Dec 29th, 2008 12:22 AM

not a seppo but have to confess to being a Pom so the cold weather is in my blood :)
Cheers

Bushranger Dec 29th, 2008 07:43 PM

I wonder whether the giggly one actuaslly wears underpants under the garb and has been to the south coast too much underpants.

It is one of Australias least heralded international locations and all the better for it and also having some glorious weather right through Winter/spring.

If you are driving up from Melbourne there's a couple of cottages on a farm lot just out of Tilba I can tell you about and though less in the immediate area, it is by far more peaceful and not so far from Narooma and BB coast in one direction and Tathra, Bega [great farm visit just north] and Merimbula in direction from where you have come.
You would also be better placed to drive through to Cooma and Snowy Mountains for a snow trip too.

Meanwhile - http://www.batemansbayaccommodation....ay-homes.shtml - the second one looks great!

And Tilba - http://www.tilba.com.au/tilbafarmcabins.htm - basic but a steal @ ~$20/n 12 years ago and still great value and renting both could suit your purpose.

Plenty more options - http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...cr%3DcountryAU

Beautiful Tourism Unspolied Country.

If you want to see Kangaroos, pop into Merimula Golf Club on way through or head to www.murramarangresort.com.au and beaches around there north of Batemans Bay.
Plenty to keep you occupied that way too with Mogo and the Zoo, hinterland and beach forest walks or head up to Braidwood.

underpants11 Jan 2nd, 2009 02:45 AM

onya Bushy - loving that second one in Bateman's Bay but will peruse the other sites you posted.

PS - undies all in order thanks, except on Mondays :)