Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

A week in Brisbane/Sunshine coast, sightseeing suggestions needed.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

DH and I are spending seven days mid June in Brisbane/Sunshine Cost. Well actually only six days really as we arrive Sunday night 7.30pm and leave early the following Sunday morning. The plan is to have two full days in Brisbane and then pick up a rental car on Wednesday morning, and travel up the Sunshine Coast. We have booked a motel in Mooloolaba for three nights, and spending the last night at a hotel near the airport, thanks Ann for the suggestion.

Would love some sightseeing ideas, have done lots of research but any suggestions appreciated. Thinking of Lone Pine Sanctuary but also want to go to Australia Zoo so probably not necessary to go to Lone Pine. I would like to go whale-watching but I get seasick on a calm day, so may be miserable doing this.

Also is a GoCard a good idea? We will use the Air Train to get from the airport to our hotel near Anzac Square? There is also another tourist type card, but seems expensive, but does include the Air Train.
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

I just read my other thread I started a couple of months ago, some good suggestions there. Feel free to add more. It was actually Kay who suggested the motel near the airport.
Old May 9th, 2015, 03:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One idea for Brisbane is to go on the free City Hopper, which is a ferry that travels part of the river in Brisbane. You could catch in at Southbank and get off at Thornton, then walk up and over the Story Bridge with terrific views along the way. You can walk back along the river to Eagle St Pier, there is a walking and cycling path the whole way. This is a fair amount of walking but mostly flat. Another idea is to do the walk across the bridge, then walk into Chinatown (only 5 mins walk from the end of the bridge) for yum cha.

Just walking along the river at Southbank is lovely on a nice day, there are lots of places to eat and drink in streets parallel to the river. The Art Gallery, also on the river at Southbank, is free and nice for a look.

We love the Sunshine Coast but have actually had trouble thinking of specific suggestions. Just driving along the coast between Caloundra and Coolum and exploring is good, lots of great beaches to have a walk. Caloundra has a good market in the town centre, they close off the main street. Sundays I think but you could check. There is a tourist boat that travels along the inland waters at Mooloolaba, I think you would find it at the wharf area, or ask at your hotel.

Not sure the Go Card is worth buying for such a short time. I think you can buy paper tickets though they are more expensive. The Go Card costs $10 to buy so it really depends on how much you would use it. The City Hopper, as mentioned, is free (the other ferry, City Cat is not free) and there is a free bus in the city area that does a loop.

Have a great time.
Kay
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kay, the City Cat sounds like a must do. We do want to drive up to Noosa as well. Some of my relations had a pineapple farm there many many years ago. They are all gone now I believe, and housing gone up instead.
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love Noosa..there's something about the village and the lovely beach. Take a walk in the lovely National Park for some Aussie bush experience.
Old May 9th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Nelsonian
I've not been to Lone Pine, so can't compare, but I was pleasantly surprised with Australia Zoo ( not being a Steve Irwin fan).

I am a Sunshine Coast & Hinterland fan though & a few of my favourites are:

* Noosa Yacht & Rowing Club. Great casual spot on the river.

* Yandina Ginger factory.

* Eumundie Markets (Saturday & Wednesday).

* the Buddhist temple & centre
* National Park walk from Noosa Heads.
* Spirit House - restaurant & cooking classes
* Berados on Hastings street
* lots of other little bistros along the river

* hinterland towns - Montville & Maleny. Take a coat - it can be chilly up there.
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Obviously Lone Pine Sanctuary is a real tourist attraction, one that locals don't go too!!

Planning on going to the Wednesday market at Eumundie, I have read Saturday is very busy. Thanks for the great suggestions.
Old May 9th, 2015, 04:11 PM

I'm not sure, Nelsonian - must put it on my list next time I'm in Brisbane.

I'm usually in Brisbane for work & squeeze in seeing friends, the art gallery, a bit of shopping & a few restaurants, before I head north, south or for the airport.
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:55 PM

Hi, just a word of warning that we find the roads around Noosa, and heading into Noosa, quite confusing. Every time we go there we end up in the wrong area. So my tip is to grab a decent street map at the tourist office, probably once you arrive on the Sunshine Coast, to help you out. The tourist offices have lots of free maps and brochures and very helpful.

Hastings St is the main area, with expensive shops and restaurants, not really our cup of tea. Noosaville is quieter and on the river. Check out the Noosa area map before you head off.

Kay
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

I had been reading about Noosaville, lots of great hikes there I believe.
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to Australia Zoo I probably wouldn't go to Lone Pine. Its an extra admission price to see animals you will see at Australia Zoo and uses up time you could spend elsewhere.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

Day 4 of our trip. So far been on the City Hopper, did the whole trip, then got off at Eagle St pier and had lunch at the George Seafood restaurant. Been to the Queen St Mall several times, it was about 2 minutes walk from our hotel. Visited Roma St parklands. Attended a free concert at the City Hall. Had a super quick trip to Mt Coot-tha, got to spend 4 minutes there!!!! Walked to Southbank.

Now based in Mooloolaba, went to the Emunudi market yesterday, Australia Zoo today and the Glasshouse mountain lookout. Tomorrow going to Noosa/Noosa Heads for the day. Not sure what is happening Saturday. Will be driving back to Brisbane and staying near Brisbane Airport. May go to Eat Street, also thinking about Moreton Island. Weather for the first three days was not the best. Today was beautiful.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 11:22 PM

Sounds like you have done heaps! If you are staying in Ascot/Hamilton (at the Raceways motel?) another option is to walk the five minutes down towards Racecourse Road and there are lots of options for meals. We have stayed a few times in the area and that would be our pick.

Eat Streets Market is OK, it was $2 each entry then you wander around the food and drinks stalls and buy whatever takes your fancy then find a seat. We found it a bit of a bunfight, seats were hard to get, it was very crowded and we were juggling plates of hot food and a drink. Very popular so it does appeal to lots of people, we thought once was enough.

Kay
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

We got to Eat St just as it opened. No problem finding a park, and not that many people at that hour. We really enjoyed it. it was getting crowded as we left though. We also made it back up to the Mt Coot-ha lookout, this time driving ourselves!!! It is rather nerve wracking driving in a big city though especially when there are road changes that do not show on the GPS.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 05:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you are having such a good time, nelsonian; we really liked Brisbane despite the dire results in the cricket match that we had [partly] gone to see.

And thanks for the thanks, albeit they were misplaced!
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Home again to much cooler temperatures!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:51 PM

Glad you had a good time, Nelsonian.
Come back again & we'll try & get the weather right for you