Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   A family trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/a-family-trip-to-sydney-and-the-blue-mountains-1115192/)

crellston Jun 27th, 2016 02:50 PM

A family trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains

October last year we spent 3 weeks in and around Sydney visiting our son and DIL who live in Manly. We spent the vast majority of our time in Manly/Sydney with some side trips to other northern beaches and to the Blue Mountains.

In lieu of a trip report, here is a link to our blog with full details of our time there ( and a lot of photos).

https://accidentalnomads.com/category/australia/

Apologies for the family centric nature of the post, but some may find some of the info of use in planning a trip to the city and its environs.

We were lucky enough to be there for the Manly Jazz festival - highly recommended!

Bokhara2 Jun 27th, 2016 05:23 PM

Thanks foe a most interesting read, Crellston. Glad to see you spent some time on our wonderful northern beaches.

Next time you come, take the ferry to McMahons Point, wander up Blues Point Road, through Wendy Whiteley's Secret Garden at Lavender Bay. Continue around to Milsons Point, perhaps have a swim in the pool near Luna Park, a meal /snack/ drink at Ripples - then walk back to the CBD across the Harbour Bridge footpath. Glorious views, flat walking,free. You come out in Cumberland Street, The Rocks.

Or take the quick version - ferry to Milsons Point or Kirribilli & walk back across the bridge.

If you come in Late May/ early June, Vivid Sydney will be on.

crellston Jun 28th, 2016 08:45 AM

Thanks for the tips Bokharra2 will bear that in mind for our next trip.

TravelerKaren Jun 28th, 2016 11:59 AM

Enjoyed reading your blog. Sounds like an interesting life! We will be in Australia for 5 weeks in Sept. Looking forward to experiencing some of the places you described.

yestravel Jul 2nd, 2016 04:12 PM

Thanks for your report. Will come in handy for our time in Sydney. Did you think a couple days was plenty for the Blue Mts? It seems most people do it as a daytrip. We'd prefer to stay over maybe 2 nights? WDYT?

Bokhara2 Jul 2nd, 2016 06:32 PM

Most people doing the Blue Mountains are either doing so because of time constraints or, like me, a local popping up for a day for something particular or with visitors.

My preference is to stay a couple of nights. There is plenty to see & do and, like many tourist areas, there is a different feel when you're there overnight & in the early mornings.

I like Leura & Blackheath to stay in.
The area encompassing the mountain towns isn't very big, so it doesn't really matter where you stay, as it's only a few minutes' drive between them.

There is a good selection of accommodation & I've stayed in very nice cottages in both areas.

yestravel Jul 2nd, 2016 08:25 PM

Thanks-I couldn't agree more about places bring different after the day trippers leave. Any particular accommodation you'd recommend?

tripplanner001 Jul 3rd, 2016 03:19 AM

Another awesome report, Crellston. I'm happy to know that someone else loves Sydney as much as I do.

margo_oz Jul 4th, 2016 12:55 PM

Great read, crellston

Heaps more to see on your next trip - when the baby arrives.

crellston Jul 6th, 2016 11:22 AM

Glad you all enjoyed it.

YT - We stayed 3 nights in the Blue mountains which was great as we wanted to fit in a couple of days hiking and there are lots of hikes to choose from as well as lots of lookup points for amazing views. Two would be fine though.

Totally agree with Bokarra2's comments re staying overnight. There was something magical about waking up to see kangaroos in the garden. There were six of us so renting the cottage was a no brainer, but even if there had been just the two of us we would probably have just gone for a smaller place.

Margo - our grandson arrived (back in England in Feb) - now if only the Aus based family would get a move on we could get back that much sooner :-).

Julio2626 Jul 27th, 2016 02:39 AM

Glad you had a great time in Sydney. Thanks for sharing.

gemmapurcell Sep 7th, 2016 07:31 AM

I love Blue Mountains in Sydney. I went there and had some great memories in their.

michelhuebeli Sep 7th, 2016 08:32 AM

In addition to Bokjara2’s great suggestion from June 27 re. the walk starting from McMahons Point et., I’d like to suggest climbing the Harbour Bridge Pylon (the only one of the four that’s open to the public) before coming back down off the bridge at The Rocks. Great 360 views and great looks down into the girders and onto the traffic below. Not to be confused with the expensive and time-consuming bridge climb. See www.pylonlookout.com.au

Another suggestion: Take the ferry to the Cremorne Point Wharf, go relax with a book at the tip of Robertsons Point, then walk along the eastern side of the peninsula to go pick up a ferry at the Old Cremorne Wharf, or keep going and wend your way around to the Mosman Bay Wharf.