Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   9 Hour layover in Sydney, what to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/9-hour-layover-in-sydney-what-to-do-1075074/)

soboyle Oct 4th, 2015 12:45 PM

9 Hour layover in Sydney, what to do?

I have a layover in Sydney for 9 hours before continuing to Christchurch. Want to get in a quick visit to downtown. Any suggestion on how to best spend a few hours in Sydney? I'll be taking the train from the international airport.

Bokhara2 Oct 4th, 2015 02:28 PM

What's your arrival & departure time?
Weekday or weekend? Date?

Usual advice includes getting the train to Circular Quay, look around the Opera House, the Rocks, MCA/ Art Gallery of NSW & Botanic Gardens.
Ferry to Manly (30 mins each way )/ Watsons Bay/ Cockatoo Island / Fort Dennison. Perhaps Bronte to Bondi walk.

Details & specific recommendations will depend on info requested above.

BigRuss Oct 5th, 2015 08:41 AM

Pay the exorbitant train fare to go to Circular Quay and toddle around the area until you have to return to the airport. There's an opera house of some note and a bridge and a notable harbor and a bunch of other options in the area.

Bokhara2 Oct 5th, 2015 03:38 PM

Oh come on, Russ.

The OP is spending thousands on airfares. $16 probably isn't a bargain for a 20 minute train trip, but it can hardly be called "exorbitant" with any credibility, especially in the context of a tourist's expenses & experiences.

mareeS55 Oct 6th, 2015 06:19 AM

Ask your airline or travel people if there is an option like in Singapore, where there is a tour of the city and river cruise while in transit, no immigration formalities.

I live not far from Sydney, so can"t advise about transit arrangements here, but surely there would be something if you inquire. worst thing is to check in and out with luggage for 11 hours.

soboyle Oct 6th, 2015 10:13 AM

Thanks for suggestions. Expensive train ride, but this may be my one chance to see a tiny piece of Australia.
I arrive in Sydney at 9am on a Sunday. Flight leaves at 5:40 that afternoon. Thinking I should be back at the airport by 3:30 pm. So that gives me something like 4 hours in Sydney. Not a lot of time, but enough to see the harbor and opera house and surrounding areas.

mareeS55 Oct 6th, 2015 01:30 PM

If you have made your mind up, take the extortionately-priced train to Central, then get yourself to Circular Quay via the city line, maybe take a ferry to Manly. It is the absolute best and cheapest way to see Sydney Harbour, and then get yourself back to Circular Quay for a dozen oysters and a glass of wine at the oyster bar near the Opera House. very nice!

soboyle Oct 8th, 2015 09:37 AM

Does the Opal card work for the Airport train?

soboyle Oct 8th, 2015 11:39 AM

Never mind - this from the Opal site:

When tapping on or off at Sydney Domestic or International Airport stations, a station access fee of $13.00 for Adult and $11.60 for Gold Senior/Pensioner, Concession and Child/Youth Opal card holders is deducted from your Opal card balance in addition to the relevant Opal train fare. This is the same fee that currently applies to paper tickets for travel to these stations.

BigRuss Oct 9th, 2015 12:13 PM

Thousands of $$$ for a transpacific flight is logical. A $16 local train fare is not, especially when adding an "access fee" to the airport charge. So much for encouraging people to take the train to the airport . . .