7 night NZ, south island for active couple

Aug 3rd, 2017, 04:17 AM
Original Poster
7 night NZ, south island for active couple

Looking for some advice for 7 nights in South island NZ. We are flying into Queenstown Sept 25 and looking to do try to optimize the time there. We like to hike, and are in excellent shape. What are the must see places in that area. We were thinking about just staying around QT and fjordland and not trying to stretch ourselves thin unless there are some badass areas worth traveling for. I have no hotels booked so we could split time in some other city if that's recommended. We are renting a car by the way.

Aug 3rd, 2017, 05:55 AM
All of the SI is pretty badass, but you just don't have time to see it all.

I think you're wise to spend all of your time in the QT area - it's one of the few places on the SI that makes a good 'base' as there's so much to see within a relatively short drive distance.

Do keep in mind that days in late Sept can be short, so you won't have a whole lot of daylight to work with. Having said that, I've visited in Sept many times and it's one of my favorite times of year in NZ - but I like the cold.

From a Queenstown base you can:

Drive to Glenorchy and walk a section of the Routeburn Track, in addition to many other options in the area. I've walked most of these and can recommend all of them, but Lake Rere is a bear (I might be older than you though!):

Drive to Arrowntown and walk one of the many walk there (I personally like Sawpit Gully):

Explore the wineries near QT, bungy jump (or watch)

Take a jet boat trip (I highly recommend Dart River Safari out of Glenorchy - it's scenic with a few thrill spins thrown in). The jet boat trips on the Shotover in QT are short thrill rides.

Scenic boat trips from Lake Wakatipu

Drive to Te Anau, spend two nights there - use this as a base from exploring Milford and Milford Road which is chock-a-block with hiking tracks

Day trip to Wanaka from QT - plenty to do there too, or maybe spend a couple of nights there. It's about a 90 minute drive from QT. Lots of brilliant hikes.

Your week will fly by, believe me.
Aug 3rd, 2017, 11:39 PM
Badass .. lol I love it!
Maybe the next marketing phrase for Tourism New Zealand?
Aug 13th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Original Poster
Awesome, thanks for the great recommendations. Probably going to see how much of the routeburn track we can do.

Ha ill probably end up planning my itinerary based closely on this. Everything looks fun

Search this Thread