Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aurora dazzles Kiwis

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9183...s-up-night-sky
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 02:12 PM

Wow, beautiful! So sorry to have missed seeing the lights by just a few weeks as we passed through many of those spots in NZ,

thanks for posting the great pix.
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

A second night of auroras seen all the way from Auckland through the South Island with even more spectacular displays.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9183...s-up-night-sky
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 04:27 PM

I'd like to know how many of those photos included in the articles are done with cameras with prolonged exposures. What was seen with the naked eye? My Other Half has photographed a few of the night skies in New Zealand with the lens open anywhere from 20 seconds to a full minute. It picks up way more light than can be seen naturally (with the naked eye). Yes, there are several places in New Zealand that don't have light pollution and the night skies display more stars, but they won't be what the camera lens portrays.

I'm waiting for the hordes of visitors asking when and where to be for the next Southern Lights display - and frankly, one should not plan a trip around it. It's too much of a gamble and why waste time chasing something that has a less than 1% chance of occurring even given the optimum circumstances.
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

All are done with prolonged exposures and tripod, that's generally how you shoot night skies. I'd met someone who went to Lake Tekapo's Night & Sky, couldn't see the colors, but was blown away when she later reviewed her photos as she'd unknowingly captured the aurora. Quite a memento of one's trip, I think. I'd settle for a good photo of the aurora myself. Meanwhile I've enjoyed other photographers' images of our astounding natural world.

If a keen photographer or stargazer is coming to New Zealand anyhow and has nothing else to do at night, it's worth checking the aurora forecaster and weather, researching good viewing sites and preparing accordingly. At the very least, the night skies are fabulous in and of themselves and in winter we can see the galactic center of the Milky Way directly overhead. Even to my naked eye, it's a sight that takes my breath away.

In March, a sold-out flight took off from Dunedin, for those hoping to photograph the aurora. There were only about 150 seats available, priced at $3950 a pair in economy and $8500 a pair in business class. According to reports, a few people were disappointed that the aurora was not as bright or vivid as they expected, but most were delighted by their photos and the experience. They plan to make it an annual flight, with future flights departing from Christchurch, which can accommodate larger jets with more passengers.

It's well known that the camera can capture more than the naked eye, however, sometimes you can see faint colors with the naked eye as well. I understand in general the colors of the Aurora Australis are generally not as bright as the Aurora Borealis. My husband and I were discussing why this is last night as a matter of fact. I'll post on this thread when I find out.

People who hope to see the aurora should ask about it first. When I've see such questions, I've always explained that the camera captures more than the naked eye for which the colors may be faint or invisible. This is a link to the Aurora Forecaster:
http://www.aurora-service.net/
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

NASA has a great information document about the aurora:
https://pwg.gsfc.nasa.gov/polar/EPO/...aurora_all.pdf
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Correction: Tekapo's "Earth & Sky."
http://www.earthandsky.co.nz/
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 10:24 AM

I've seen a lot of crazy first draft itineraries. I've seen a lot of crazy misconceptions about NZ. I've seen a lot of misconceptions about nature. It's not the astronomy buffs and experienced photographers I'm worried about. ("Worry" is probably the wrong term - but hopefully you know what I mean.) It's the person with the P&S camera (often using a flash!) who wants to come to New Zealand to see the Southern Lights because they've seen these incredible pictures of them.

When an article in Stuff, or any magazine or website, publishes these kinds of pictures, it's a huge disservice to not state what was seen by the naked eye.
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Are you implying I also did a disservice in posting this link? I take them for what they are: beautiful photographs. It's certainly not fake news. The aurora exists. True, such vivid colors might not always be seen by the naked eye. But the above article wasn't about how you can view the aurora but showcasing what photographers in NZ had captured during recent solar activity. Because they know many readers enjoy seeing such images and because Kiwis are proud of what can be photographed from New Zealand. In a similar vein, NZ press today showed off images taken by an astronaut of New Zealand from outer space. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11844553
I found the photos from space as as interesting as the aurora photos and appreciated the news sites' publication of these images. I think many others did, too.

They can't put everything in an article, nor please every reader.

Before my second trip to New Zealand about 19 years ago, in researching my trip I'd collected articles from the New York Times and other publications about kayaking in Abel Tasman NP, showing blue skies, calm crystal clear water, and describing how wonderful it was. When I got there, I found myself kayaking in a pelting rainstorm under cloudy grey skies, trying all my might to not tip over. We had to put our sails up. Not one article said it could suddenly go from sunny to rainy, cold, grey and windy, or that the water could be so rough. My many guidebooks said nothing about this either. At that time, I can't remember having access to a forum like this, where I could ask questions, but now I, and others, can. People can easily research things now—and should. Those on this forum are doing their homework.

The aurora photos I've seen motivated me to learn the aurora phenomena itself and inspired me to learn a little about night sky photography. I have a point and shoot camera and don't expect the same results from it as from my DSLR.
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 06:54 AM

>>>Are you implying I also did a disservice in posting this link?<<<

Of course not.

I fear we are going around in circles. So I'm bowing out of this thread.