6 days in Darwin - what to do?

Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

6 days in Darwin - what to do?

Hi,
My husband & I, with two teenage boys (14 & 16) will be in Darwin for 6 nights and 6 full days in mid March. We would like to see Kakadu and Litchfield but have not yet booked any tours. I have gone to the NT website but there are 109 tour companys listed so it is difficult to determine which are best. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether we should prebook any tours before arriving in Darwin or should we wait until we get there? Is it easy to schedule tours at the last minute and are there any deals if we do that? What tour companys are best and are there any that we should avoid?
I am also confused as to how long we should book our hotel for. I was considering only booking for the first night for now in case we go on one of those camping safaris.
Any advise would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:23 PM

I was in Darwin in 2001 and took a day trip to Kakadu, which is a great place. I was not impressed with Darwin and would not recommend spending much time there - I would concentrate on getting to Kakadu and staying there for most of your time.

Martha
Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:05 PM

Both APT and AATKings are well known and well recommended tour companies - they would both have a wide range of tours on offer.
Although with teenage boys you would probably be better with more camping variety - which hopefully some of the resident Northern Territory experts will be able to advise you about.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:02 PM
ALF

We spent a few weeks in the Top End with slightly younger kids. Things they enjoyed:

KAKADU
4WD tour to Jim Jim Falls
Ancient Aboriginal art at Ubirr
Yellow Water Billabong boat tour (this was a big hit, but water levels may still be too high in mid-March, as this is during The Wet season)

NITMILUK
Boat tour through the Kathering River gorges (a series of gorges separated by unnavigable rapids, so you keep on changing boats)

MANYALLALUK
This is an Aboriginal village where you can arrange for a day-long cultural experience to learn what it was like to live in the bush. They taught our son how to throw spears with a woomera, and he has been obsessed about it ever since. He recently gave a demonstration at his school, where he tossed a spear on the football field from one end zone to the other.

Search this Thread