Has Anyone Used the Free NZ GPS Download???

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has Anyone Used the Free NZ GPS Download???

I was excited to learn about the New Zealand Open GPS Maps Project (http://nzopengps.org/) that allows you to download GPS maps at no charge. I worry about free things that seem too good to be true. Has anyone used this? I'm hesitant to download it until I receive some feedback.

On another note -- you all have been FANTASTIC. The information I've gotten has helped me to really pull this trip together. I'm very appreciative to all who've taken the time to share such great info.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM

Songdoc, particularly for NZ countryside I'd rely on a good free map you can get from AA offices, there being a handy one in shopping square opposite beach in Orewa, first beachside town you'll come to on leaving Auckland heading north on the northern motorway [not the north west one] unless they have finished motorway extension project, but should be a turn-off for Orewa you can take.

On exiting Auckland customs, turn sharp left and around corner from Cafe/kiosk you should see a Visitor Information Centre and plenty of free maps available there too.

Just saw a news article that GPSs are getting a bit of a reputation like mobile phones - people are not always concentrating on what is outside of the car and where it is heading! - could be dangerous to fall into that trap, particularly on NZ roads.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I appreciate your concern -- but while I drive, my companion deals with the GPS. It was great having it during the last trip. But I will pick up the maps and appreciate that info.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM

I have used the Open NZ GPS product. I found it worked well with MapSource but ran into some problems with my Nuvi 770. I eventually switched back to my Garmin NZ maps.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM

I'm interested in learning more about this - I don't want to pay $300 to update my GPS for NZ. But I'm worried I could possibly download a virus with the free update?
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Yes -- we used them on our Nuvi during our honeymoon -- the FAQ was pretty self-explanatory.

The maps were great although the hotel/restaurant info wasn't as up-to-date as Garmin's, but it was (US) $199 cheaper, so it was well worth it.

I wouldn't worry about viruses and such -- the open source volunteers I talked to were very friendly. They do this as a hobby.

As such, I made sure to give them a donation when I got home. Good Karma!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM

We actually downloaded it to our Garmin last night & it looks to be ok. I was able to search maps in NZ & all the roads were there. But I guess I won't know for sure until we get there!
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 12:46 AM

and if you get lost, there's probably someone to ask.

Some of them speak a sort of English - but then...so do Americans.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

I actually found GPS maps for NZ and Australia (combined) on ebay at such a good price that I wound up buying it -- because I needed OZ, as well. FYI, although I'm in the US, I bought it from the U.K. ebay site for under $100 US. It arrived quickly and seems perfect.