Notices

5 days in NZ with a 4 and 1 year old

Jun 6th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

5 days in NZ with a 4 and 1 year old

Hello! I am traveling for work to Australia and (first time to) New Zealand. I'll be moving all around for the week but then my family (2 adults and 2 kids) will join me in NZ. I would like to get a taste of it but will be traveling with little ones.

I am in Wellington on Friday November 20 and we need to fly back to Sydney on November 25 as we fly back to the states the following day on FF tickets. They will fly from Sydney.

I am not comfortable driving a rental car or campervan, so I have been looking at some options and would love some feedback of what would be best after a week of sightseeing for them in Sydney. We are not hikers or adventurous outdoor people by nature, but I do enjoy breathtaking scenery and taking photos as does my 4 year old.

Option 1 - they fly to Wellington and we stay in Wellington the whole time - maybe stay a few days near a beach?
Option 2 - they fly to Wellington and we do a day or overnight trip to Picton via Ferry
Option 3 - they fly to Wellington and we make our way via ferry and train to Christchurch. the little guy will be too small for a whale watching boat in Kaikoura, so I am undecided where we would stay.
Option 4 - we all meet in Christchurch and use that as a base for day trips - Akoura, maybe train to Greymouth and overnight there?

We will be trying to keep luggage to 2 wheeling bags, a carryon and a stroller.

any ideas would be much appreciated, including suggestions for tour companies, lodging, etc. Thanks!
Jun 6th, 2015, 04:35 PM

Hi, kak113

I would suggest, with just 3 - 4 days and two little ones, you stay in one place. Travelling to Christchurch by ferry and train / bus will take all day. Even if you decided to stop in Kaikoura it is at least a 6 hour day.

Options 1 or 2 would be my suggestion. November is not really beach weather, as it is halfway through Spring, but can be lovely to walk on - wearing a warm jacket.

I believe it is quite hard to get accommodation in Christchurch because of the rebuilding, but if you get in early you may find something.
Wellington has several interesting attractions which are easily accessed through walking or public transport.
An overnight trip to Picton could be great. The sailing through Tory Channel is very picturesque, and there are some great views once in Picton. However, for many of them you need a vehicle as they are outside Picton. I'm not sure what attractions for children there are in Picton, but there is The Edwin Fox sailing ship and related museum which are interesting and informative.

Useful websites www.visitpicton.co.nz

http://www.wellingtonnz.com

www.christchurch.org.nz/

Good luck with your planning.

Search this Thread