4-wd Necessary for Karijini?

Feb 21st, 2007, 10:07 AM
Original Poster
4-wd Necessary for Karijini?

Hey all-

I plan on doing some hiking in Karijini in May--specifically, Mt. Bruce Summit, Dales Gorge, Circular Pool, Hancock Gorge, etc. Do you know if it will be necessary to hire a 4-wd vehicle to get around, or will an ordinary automobile suffice. Thanks, and any advice regarding hiking in the area would also be greatly appreciated!

Mar 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
A hire car company would probably insist on your taking a 4wd although you wont need it. If you can hire a ute (utility vehicle) that would give you enough clearance if there has been recent rain and erosion.
You will enjoy all of those gorges.
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:22 AM
But please do be careful. Take lots of water, and if you should be unlucky, and the car breaks down - stay with it.

It's a harsh wilderness out there, and not a year goes by without a tourist dying through being unprepared or ill-informed.

I'm sure you're up to speed on all this, and I don't want to scare you,

but .. please be careful.

All the best.'

Mar 5th, 2007, 09:39 PM
We visited Karijini a few years ago and were told that the roads there are particularly hard on tyres so make sure you have a good spare and know how to change it. Your car rental company should be linked with a motoring body for help but bear in mind that you could be hundreds of kms from the nearest service centre.
You should notify the rangers about your hiking activities and tell them when you return, so they can send out search parties if necessary. It's a beautiful place but very harsh.
Incidentally the mine tour in Tom Price is worth doing.

Search this Thread