Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   3 nights in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/3-nights-in-sydney-263191/)

Karen Oct 4th, 2002 06:45 AM

3 nights in Sydney

We have 3 days in Sydney. Should one of them be spent in the Blue Mountains? Thanks for your help.

Merriem Oct 4th, 2002 07:59 AM

I would stay in Sydney, and take a day trip.

Patti Oct 4th, 2002 11:34 AM

I would stay in that fascinating city and enjoy every minute of it!!! Three days is not much time to see Sydney - perhaps you should wait until you get to Sydney and see how marvelous it is before you continue with other plans.

Alan Oct 4th, 2002 11:14 PM

Hi, Karen!<BR>Three days is not enough time to squander at least four hours (two each way) on a train or coach trip. While I love the Mountains so much that I chose to make my home there, I don't really think I would recommend it for someone whose time in Sydney is so limited. Spend your three days walking around Sydney and taking harbour ferries all over the place.... that will give you something of the "feel" of Sydney, whereas the Blue Mountains is just pretty scenery, and even to appreciate that you have to be prepared to put some time and effort into walking into the gorges where the cool waterfalls are.

Christina Oct 5th, 2002 02:22 PM

Karen,<BR><BR>The question is city vs nature? <BR><BR>We spent 3 nights in Sydney & didn't go to the Blue Mountains because everyone kept telling us about all this wonderful stuff to do in the city. We regreted not going because we felt the city was a waste for us. Sydney is like any other big city, with the same sort of tourist stuff. It was like being at home. <BR><BR>Christina

Jo B Oct 6th, 2002 05:15 AM

There is a lot of 'nature' much closer to Sydney than the Blue Mountains - particularly all around the harbour - try the spit to bridge to Manly walk or the wonderful cliff walk heading south from Bondi, the Gap at Vaucluse, Botanic Gardens etc.

Merriem Oct 6th, 2002 05:42 AM

We spent 10 days in Sydney, of which one was a day trip to the Blue Mountains, and one to the Hunter Valley.<BR><BR>Sydney is so interesting, that three days is not enough!

Alan Oct 6th, 2002 06:18 PM

In all fairness, I don't think Christina would have liked the Blue Mountains, either, as I am sure that she has hills near home, too. People who think that all cities are the same just haven't been choosing the right cities!

oztravel Oct 7th, 2002 09:02 PM

SYDNEY IS AWESOME! Don't go to the mountains unless your a big nature lover. Sydney is too cool to not explore around. But if you're not a city person and need to get out go someplace closer. The tours are a drage because you spend so much time in the bus.

Adrienne Oct 8th, 2002 02:24 PM

Sydney is not just like any other city. It is a wonderful place with many wonderful things to do and see. Spend all your time there, trying to do and see as much as you can in your three short days. If possible, do the BridgeClimb in the late afternoon so you see Sydney in the light and the dark. I've been back to Sydney three times and still haven't been able to see and do everything I would have liked, so I will be returning (just don't know when!) I bet you will love it.

AnnAdmirerer Oct 8th, 2002 02:42 PM

Alan Jarman<BR><BR>You are an intuitive person with a wry sense of humor! I do like it so. I appreciate all the assistance hubby and I received from you when we were coming to OZ and I just love to read some of your replies. Thanks for making my evening.<BR><BR>A good laugh was particularly encouraging since I live in the Washington DC area - you know - where that stupid sniper is running around.<BR><BR>Again many thanks<BR>

John Oct 8th, 2002 08:31 PM

I loved Sydney. Really, really loved it. But if you're like me--i.e., someone who doesn't love museums and shopping--two days may be enough. Three was just the right number for me, but only because I had an opportunity (1) to see a rugby game and (2) go to the Rocks market (OK, a little shopping is OK) on Day 3.<BR><BR>I've since regretted not going to the Blue Mtns, if only because it's apparently quite easy to spot a kangaroo in the wild on the way up. My biggest disappointment re: my week (I know, not enough) in Oz was that the only kangaroos I saw were not in a wildlife sanctuary. And I have to believe that the wild ones are a more spectacular sight. Next time, I guess.

Lin Oct 9th, 2002 09:41 AM

Sydney is a great city, and we're not 'city people'. We are back in Oz this year and spending another few days in Sydney. We went on a Blue Mtns tour last time. It rained and was foggy the whole time. Only saw half a sister! (Still had fun though). Weather is a big factor in seeing the sights. Ultimately you have to make your choice.

karen Oct 11th, 2002 06:31 AM

Thanks - this is such a good site. We'll plan to stay in Sydney and see all we can see. I agree with the opinions of all who say to stay put and take advantage of a great city.