Search

New Zealand First Timer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand First Timer

I am a mid 40s female, solo traveler and am looking for a fun tour of both island during the winter, ~ 17 days. I live in Southern CA and am very active so was looking into one of the Stray tours with single
supplement. I like the idea of a group tour with predominantly single people (not 60+ retired couples), but am afraid that Stray may be a little too young and rustic. While I'm active, my back appreciates a good mattress, and I definitely prefer my own bathroom.

Has anyone taken a tour solo recently that they would recommend?
Has anyone recently taken a tour with Stray?

Thank you very much,

Heather
Old Sep 10th, 2016, 07:54 PM

Stray offer private rooms and other age groups do go on the tours. Some offer very good value for money.
Why not organise your own trip? New Zealand is easy to get around and the locals are friendly and helpful. Staying at B and B's or Air BnB would give you some people contact.
Or check out Black Sheep touring. www.blacksheep.co.nz. I have not travelled with them but the name pops up quite often on travel forums. For the money it should be a good tour and the $$$ charged will rule out the youth element.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I'll check them out. One of the reasons I do not want to travel solo is then I have to drive the entire time on the other side of the road, navigate, etc. all by myself and to me, that is not an enjoyable vacation. I drive a lot in Southern CA so when i'm on vacation, I prefer not to drive.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

http://www.blacksheeptouring.co.nz/ is the correct website
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 02:14 PM

Oops sorry it is! Was in a rush there.
I agree driving yourself would be a strain and possibly exhausting and you can't look out the window at the sights either.
Public transport might work as the Intercity buses are good and if you stayed in Rotorua or Queenstown as a base you could do day trips where they pick you up.
Do you mean our winter June/Jul/Aug?
Shorter adventure type holidays are in the South Island or guided walks on some of our famous tracks which would be worth looking at.
What would you really like to do in New Zealand?
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

thank you. I looked at them and they are bit above my price range. I'm interested in hiking, kayaking, rafting. By winter I mean our winter, New Zealand summer. I know it's the most crowded time of year, but I prefer warmer climate travel and I know in the southern island, the weather can still be cold, but not nearly as cold as during New Zealand winter.
Old Sep 17th, 2016, 07:51 PM

Queenstown offers all those activities and would be a good base for a week.
Is this for 2016/17 summer? Places get booked out so it would pay to make some bookings very soon.