3 Days in Port Douglas?

Jul 20th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Cee
Original Poster

3 Days in Port Douglas?

First, thanks for everyone's responses to my various questions.
We have 5 of us ranging from 23-60, and will be in OZ Oct.25 - Nov 6
Our plan so far is:
5 days Sydney (Medina Grand Apartments?)
3 days Lizard Island Resort
3 days Port Douglas (sheraton?)
Back to Sydney and fly home to US.
If we do the TrekNorth rainforest tour during one day in PD, what do you suggest we do with our other 2 days? Is there another pretty area around Port Douglas for a short excursion? I have heard too many negatives about Kuranda (touristy, etc.) so I think we will skip that.
I would also like comments about our lodging choices, as well as TrekNorth.
Jul 21st, 2004, 04:34 AM

Hi Cee,
If you can, do try to spend some time in Palm Cove.

I guess Kuranda is touristy, but after all we are tourists.
The views from the cable car are fabulous and if you have not been there Kuranda really is quite a good trip.
There are stops on the cable car route that anables you to see some rainforest and get a guide to explain about the environmental aspects as well as the creatures that reside there.
I guess you should do it and then you can make up your own mind about it.
Muck
Jul 21st, 2004, 04:56 AM

I would second the Kuranda trip. While the village itself is touristy, the Skyrail (up or down) and train (up or down) is very cool and displays a magnificent view of the rain forest.

Stayed in the Sheraton about 4 months ago. It is very nice but alittle outdated as the property is almost 20 years old. Service was excellent as was the food. There is a free shuttle from the hotel into town otherwise it is about a 20/25 minute walk into town.

You will have a great time and drink a VB for me.
Jul 21st, 2004, 05:08 AM

I agree with other 2 responses, put Kuranda Rail and cable car on your list. Make sure you also take a boat out to the outer reef (barrier reef).Quiksilver have snorkelling, underwater viewing and submarines for viewing reef-brilliant. Sheraton is a fair way out, I personally would look for something closer into town, where you can walk to restaurants easily.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:06 PM

I'd highly recommend spending time up on the Atherton Tablelands. We spent a lovely day doing the waterfall circuit near Milla Milla ( sp?): great falls and short hikes; and a wildlife spotting cruise on Lake Barrine.

A/D
Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:16 PM

There are two schools of thought on reef trips from PD (or Cairns): 1) the QuickSilver big event -- a huge boat with crowds and flashy amenities. If the older folks in your group aren't cormortable just snorkeling or diving, then this might be better. 2) a smaller boat like Calypso. When we took it, it was limited to 30 and took about 15. Family run, personal attention. Not a cattle car. Not much for non-snorkelers tho. Great resort course dives.

Also, I'd second the tablelands.
Jul 24th, 2004, 06:58 AM

hi,
we used Ocean spirit out of Cairns. Not too big but not to small either...great service less than 100 people
see my trip report (20 days Australian trip--three parts, hotel,food, and wildlife viewing) details on Port Douglas attached.
have fun. it was great
KSC
Jul 24th, 2004, 04:47 PM

For steam train buffs there is now an alternative train to Kuranda. The original diesel train is of course still operating with its old-fashioned style carriages - the "new" train has the original steam locomotive, more modern looking carriages with an open observation carriage at the end. It only leaves from Freshwater Connection (a far more attractive station than the modern one in Cairns city) - Freshwater is about 10 km north of Cairns city. Both trains can hook up with Skyrail at Kuranda which is one of the most attractive railway stations in the country. Original train leaves from either Cairns city or Freshwater Connection. Whilst Kuranda village itself attracts a multitude of tourists, 5 minutes walk will take you into into some lovely rainforest and fantastic views of Barron Falls, which are magnificent in wet season. For walking trails out of Kuranda, check with the Visitors Info Centre in the village. Of course the view from Skyrail is unsurpassed - over 7 km of rainforest canopy with two viewing stations on rainforest boardwalks.

If you take Trek North from PD, nearby Mossman Gorge will be included in trip. Rainforest Habitat near Port douglas road turnoff from highway is by far the best native animal park in the area (no koala cuddling). Kuku Yalangi people will take you for a "dreamtime" walk near Mossman Gorge - your hotel reservation desk can arrange this.