Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Other hotel other then Herimitage in Mt. Cook area??? Restaurants nearby?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to decide how to spend our time at Mt. Cook. We will be there 2 nights and were thinking about staying at the Hermitage but I'm wondering if there are any other options for meals other then the hotel as there meals look to be very expensive.

And

If we decided to stay in another town, say Twizel, would that be a good option. Not sure how long it takes to drive up and down to Mt. Cook for Twizel.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 09:29 AM

No, no other options for meals but the hotel but there is a less expensive cafe rather than the big restaurant.

Maybe an hour or a bit less to Twizel. You will only be going as fast as the slowest vehicle in front of you. And you'll probably want to stop a few times.

I do prefer to stay at Mt. Cook since the sunset/sunrise viewings can be wonderful.

There are limited options in Mt. Cook, one is the YHA which has private rooms on the upper floor (they share a bath), or the following Aoraki Alpine Lodge

http://www.aorakialpinelodge.co.nz/

Melissa5 stayed her on her 2007 trip.

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...terfalls-f.cfm
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 09:30 AM

PS whatever you do, don't stay at the Godley in Tekapo!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

looks super nice but no restaurant?
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 01:44 PM

No, as far as I know only restaurants are in the Hermitage Hotel.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 04:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The Hermitage now has two resturants, one cafe and a lounge.

http://www.hermitage.co.nz/en/dining

I just found this place while doing a search, the Old Mountaineers Cafe and Bar. It appears that they're located right next to the DOC office in Mt Cook Village. Interesting website with detailed menu:

http://www.mtcook.com/restaurant.html
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 04:20 PM

Yes I mentioned that before, that there is a less expensive cafe in the Hermitage Hotel (it's upstairs sort of overlooking the new Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Center.) I believe it's called something like "Sir Edmund Hillary Cafe". It isn't really open late for dinner, though.

I must have looked at the prices at the Old Mountaineers and just crossed it off of my list and out of my mind, since I was staying at the YHA and using their kitchen. Kind of expensive with the weak US Dollar $17 for a Sammie!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not disputing your post mlgb, just pointing out that there are two restaurants AND one cafe in the Hermitage. I was only aware of one restaurant, the cafe and the bar. It's been years since I dined in Mt Cook, but I recall the cafe being a bit grim, while the Alpine Restaurant was good, but expensive. They've re-done the cafe since then, so perhaps it's improved.

I also vaguely recall a local's tavern where we had a pub meal, but I can't for the life of me find it online, so perhaps it's long gone.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 04:51 AM

All I could find in January this year was the Old Mountaineers and the hotel restaurants. I had brought food with me from Twizel and prepared it in the kitchen at Alpine Lodge (which is fine motel style place). I stopped in the Mountaineer for something and the the food looked/smelled good.

I especially enjoyed the evening at Mt Cook watching the colors change on the glaciers as the sun set, which was very late in January.