Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   $240, one nite Holiday Inn Darling Harbor (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/240-one-nite-holiday-inn-darling-harbor-314384/)

judyann May 7th, 2003 12:39 AM

$240, one nite Holiday Inn Darling Harbor

We arrive last day of World Cup, and that's the only accommodation I could find. Will be moving to the 4 Seasons after that. From what I've read on this forum, the Holiday Inn is not very nice, and the $240 is for their cheapest room! Ugh! Any suggestions about how to obtain better accommodations w/o spending significantly more $??

Thanks!

luv2fly May 8th, 2003 06:05 AM

You are complaining about the cost of a room at the Holiday Inn and then you mention that you will be moving to the Four Seasons. What are you paying for that room?

For the time you will be spending in the room, the Holiday Inn is sufficient. Remember that it is the last day of the World Cup and the city is full.

judyann May 8th, 2003 06:19 AM

To: lux2fly

Yes, I am complaining about $240 U.S. dollars for a bottom rung room at the Holiday Inn, Darling Harbor. It's unfortunate that some hotels would capitalize on the World Cup to this extent; this room would normally go for about $80 U.S. dollars or so.
BTW, the 4 Seasons rate comes out to about $231 U.S. dollars per night for a deluxe harbor view room!

margo_oz May 8th, 2003 12:57 PM

$US240 is a hideous amount for the Holiday Inn, Darling Harbour.

But - the final of the World Cup will bring a squillion visitors. It may not rate highly in the US, but it'll attract Olympic size crowds. There must be something else - I guess you could wait it out, but that depends on your personal comfort levels.

Of course hotels capitalise on big events - don't they do the same in your area?

PixieChick May 8th, 2003 02:06 PM

Judy Ann,

Have you considered some hotels that are outside of the city centre/darling harbour area, but are walkable/one 'subway' stop/$10 taxi ride into the city? There are literally dozens of hotels nicer than the Holiday Inn that WILL be much cheaper than $240US, even if they double their rates.

I assume you're arriving on the 21st or 22nd of November.

You'd be best served calling the hotel directly to make a booking, as you'll get a better rate than through travelocity or orbitz or any of that.

Some hotels to consider: Harbourside at Rushcutters Bay, Kirketon or Altamont in Darlinghurst (hip, not seedy...really!), Sir Stamford Double Bay, etc. Given it's only for a night, there are also MANY hotels that are 3-3.5* (comfortable, but not Four Seasons quality) that would be fine. Try the Savoy in Double Bay. I am willing to bet that you can get a room there on your requested night for $150AUD or less. It's fine, really. It's also a $10AUD cab ride into the city, or the bus is a block away. With the $$150US+ you'd save in a night you could have a lovely dinner...even at Tetsuyas!

Daneille May 8th, 2003 04:27 PM

What about some hotels in Manly (eg Pacific Royal) or down at Bondi (eg Swiss Grand)?

judyann May 9th, 2003 12:18 AM

Thank you so very much for your suggestions. Fortunately, we now have a room at Sheraton Four Points, Darling Harbor for the one night.
This will be our first trip to Australia and are very much looking forward to visiting your very beautiful country.