Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   2 weeks in Tasmania with toddler (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/2-weeks-in-tasmania-with-toddler-585790/)

Nicintas Jan 27th, 2006 05:01 PM

2 weeks in Tasmania with toddler

My husband and almost 3 yr old son and I plan to spend 2 weeks camping in Tasmania in April - 2 weeks over the Easter period. We are taking a week to drive across to Melbourne from Perth then taking the ferry to Devonport. I'd love some suggestions if possible for an itinery for 2 weeks in Tas.
I also have loads of questions!
We will be camping in a tent - how cold are we going to get in April? Are we nuts?!!
Any tips for making the ferry crossing with a toddler overnight (Do the rooms have room for a ready bed?)
Is it best to pitch the tent in a couple of (warmer?!) places and do day trips from there, or keep shifting the tent around the island?
Are there any places we should avoid tenting?
How many days drive is it from Hobart to Devonport via the west coast?
Are we going to have trouble finding a tent site over easter?

I'd appreciate any advice - thanks in advance!

Melnq8 Jan 27th, 2006 11:39 PM

Can't help with most of your questions, as I'm not a camper and don't have kids, BUT, according to my Tassie map, you can drive from Devonport to Hobart in about three hours if you go direct. Taking the longer west coast route looks to be about 8 hours.

Melnq8 Jan 27th, 2006 11:52 PM

I've found this site to be really helpful in planning trips to Tasmania:

www.discovertasmania.com.au/

And this site lists some driving times that you mind find helpful:

www.cradlechalet.com.au/travel_times.htm

Karen246 Jan 28th, 2006 02:27 AM

Weather will be starting to cool especially around Cradle Mountain. Easter will be really busy as well - might we worth booking. Tassie is a lovely place - enjoyv - you will need long pants and long sleeved tops - some places will require something much warmer.

prue Jan 28th, 2006 03:21 PM

My son and daughter-in-law have just returned from 2 weeks in Tasmania and reported that accommodation was very tight and the locals are expecting it to remain that way up to and past Easter, especially in camping areas, caravan parks etc.

Nicintas Jan 29th, 2006 12:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I will try to make some bookings and hope we get in somewhere!!

Any more comments would be appreciated as well!

fuzzylogic Jan 29th, 2006 04:19 AM

Can't help with the ferry question - only ever done it without a personal cabin, but I would be suprised if they didn't cater for families with small children. Why not email and ask them direct?

My favourite places in Tassie - Mt Field NP, Freycinet, Stanley on the NW coast, Maria Island, Bruny Island, Cradle Mt.

Can't help with the tenting questions - except to say it can get quite cold in April. Last time I was there was April - it was snowing as I drove up to the Cradle Mt tourist park (where the YHA is).

I would not have wanted to be in a tent unless it was a really good tent, and came with 4 season bags!!

But it's just wonderful to see a post from someone wanting to camp - sounds like a FANTASIC trip so don't be put off.

Nicintas Jan 29th, 2006 05:51 PM

Thanks fuzzylogic for all that info - much appreciated. Especially the tip about seeing snow in April. I've heard from others who have been to Tas to avoid tenting on the west coast in April but might be ok in a tent on the east coast as it's warmer and drier. I guess we can give it a go and if it's too cold we try to find a YHA or onsite van or similar! We are going to book something for the Easter weekend in advance, but leave the rest to decide as we go I think.

I ended up emailing the Spirit of Tasmania after I posted the question and got some good info. I'll post it here in case others are interested to know:
"If the 2 year old sleeps in a bed, he will be
charged as a child and you would need to book a 3 bunk cabin. If you are happy for
him to sleep in a cot, he will be free of charge. All our cabins (Deluxe, twin and 3/4
bunk) can accommodate cots. The only cabin which do not are our double cabins
on the Sydney vessel."

I assume that because those rooms fit a cot they would probably fit a "Ready Bed" (toddler sized all-in-one mattress sleeping bag). I have emailed to ask if they will allow that but have not heard back yet.

Thanks again for the input!