Whale sharks in WA

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whale sharks in WA

Hi all. After YEARS of saying I'll go, I'm actually going to GO! Thinking of heading over in early June. Has anyone done the day trip with any particular company they liked? Exmouth Dive Centre? I'll also be doing some diving on Ningaloo. Expect I'll stay out there for about a week. Any ideas on accommodation that's close to Exmouth would be great as well. Not looking for incredibly cheap digs, but certainly don't want to pay 5* luxury prices.

Cheers
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:29 PM

If you are hoping to see whale sharks I always thought they were around Ningaloo in March. I'm not 100 per cent certain of this but am pretty sure. You might want to check it out. That would be awesome to swim with the whale sharks.

However, Ningaloo is pretty fantastic even without the whale sharks. We camped at Cape Range National Park where there are very limited facilities but what a fantastic spot. You'll love it and it is well worth the effort to get there.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 04:02 AM

If the whale sharks are in the vicinity, any of the companies at Exmouth will put you right onto them. Any accommodation available is IN Exmouth, not NEAR Exmouth. Trust me when I tell you that there is nothing 'near' Exmouth. If you drive, you go through some very scrubby country to get there. Carnarvon is the nearest town (375k away)and it has 7000 inhabitants.Exmouth is an isolated relatively newly-established (1967) town of 4000 inhabitants, most of whom seem employed in the tourism industry. Incidentally, the whale shark season is nominally from March to May. Humpback whales and manta rays feature from July to November. Ningaloo Reef is very close to shore: in places you can wade out. If camping is your choice, there are several reasonable camping sites in Exmouth. I do not recall seeing any 5* hotels there on my visit last year, but isolated accommodation is seldom cheap.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 05:07 AM

@claret whale sharks season just starts in the end of March and best time to go is April-June

@PixieChick check this list for tour operators in Exmouth
http://www.shorttraveltips.com/desti...r-prices-2011/
I was on tour with Three Islands Whale Shark Dive and was happy with their service.

Can't tell much about accommodation as I was with campervan and was staying in caravan park.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
ViOnline -

This post is six years old. I'm sure the OP has come and gone by now.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 09:20 PM

It was funny Mel because I opened this up and started reading the first response and thought hang on that's something I'd say and lo and behold it was me! That was my previous non de plume before Stormbird!

How I loved Ningaloo!
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:56 AM

My bad, I didn't check the date of post
But I think information is still useful as more an more people are visiting Ningaloo Reef.
I was twice there and would love to go again