Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   2 weeks in Fiji with 2 children...where to stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/2-weeks-in-fiji-with-2-children-where-to-stay-54020/)

Leigh Sep 30th, 1999 03:48 AM

2 weeks in Fiji with 2 children...where to stay

We are travelling to Fiji next June with 2 children 11 & 14. We are deciding where to stay and thinking of 6 nights on Plantation Island and 6 nights at Hideaway Island on the Coral Coast. Any information on these or other alternatives would be appreciated.

Louis Oct 2nd, 1999 05:00 PM

Your children are the reason that it is hard for people to answer. Fiji is not the typical children destination and a lot depends on the charactristic of your children. Perhaps if you could indicate what you are expecting in Fiji or desire there, people might be able to answer your question. We have no children and cannot help.

Michael Oct 2nd, 1999 05:13 PM

Heaps and heaps of places to stay that love having children. Suggest you check out www.bulafiji.com, some places that spring to mind are The Fijian, Sheraton Fiji, Beachcomber Island, Mana Island, The Shangri La and so on . You'll love Fiji and so will your kids, <BR>Rgds <BR>Michael

thomas Nov 24th, 1999 07:08 PM

shame on you louis <BR> <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR>Fiji is not the typical children destination and a lot depends on the charactristic of your children. <BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>Almost everyone I know that has children select Fiji as their favourite destination. My two year old has been three times already and our friends have taken their kids once a year from age 5 till age 17 and they seemed to be having a ball last time we went. <BR> <BR>Plantation is great for kids - another island you might look at with children that age is Treasure. <BR> <BR>Hideaway is not all that great. If there is any chance of changing your plans I would switch from Hideaway to the Fijian resort. very good, safe beach and tons and tons of organised stuff for the kids to do - even if they are at the 'too cool' stage the Fijians will have them messing

Sarah Dec 24th, 2002 05:37 AM

Hi Thomas,<BR><BR>What did you think of Plantation Island? The meals, scuba diving etc beach swimming and snorkelling without having to take extra trips? Our son will be 18 months and I really would prefer to walk out onto the beach and relax whilst he's sleeping without being scared that I'm too far away to hear him cry out. Call me paranoid mother!<BR>Any suggestions as buget is an issue<BR><BR>Sarah :)

Sarah Jan 6th, 2003 02:41 AM

Any replies? Help...

Abby Jan 6th, 2003 04:53 AM

Leigh-do not go to Beachcomber in Fiji. If this is the same place I went to-it's party central and inappropriate for children. I had the unfortunate experience of ending up here after a traveling snafu and was miserable. It was filled with 19-20 year olds on their way home from their junior year abroad in Australia. Nice people, but it wasn't why I went to Fiji! I ended up at the Sheraton Fiji after that and loved it. It was a beautiful resort with the most lovely people working there. I saw Castaway from a tour and it looked pretty rustic although I have heard of many people who loved it. Also check out Sheraton Denarau, the Shangri-La, Outrigger, and the Warwick. Don't know much about them but I have heard they are nice. Good luck.

Sarah Jan 6th, 2003 02:50 PM

Thank you for your reply Abby. Sorry you had such a bad time on Beachcomber. I'll avoid it now.<BR>Cheers <BR><BR>Sarah