Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   1st Time to BB & Really Need Help!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/1st-time-to-bb-and-really-need-help-248301/)

Kathleen Aug 10th, 2002 09:33 AM

1st Time to BB & Really Need Help!!!

My husband and I are planning to go to Bora Bora next year. I've been doing some research, but have questions.<BR><BR>- Trying to decide between LeMeridian OWB or Pearl Beach Lagoon OWB. We want the nicest view with a larger glass floor. Excellent restaurant and service<BR><BR>- we are going for 8 days and 2 days lost from travel (leaving from JFK) should we split the trip 4 days BB and 4 days Moorea?<BR><BR>- When is the best time to go is there a rainy season?<BR><BR>If anyone has better suggestions other than listed above please suggest them ...we are open to everything..Thank you<BR><BR>Sorry for all the questions, we usually go to the Caribbean so we are kind of overwhelmed with choices!!<BR><BR>Dose anyone know of any good websites that list all hotels with possible ipix views??

Kathleen Aug 11th, 2002 10:37 AM

Someone????Anyone Please???

Louise Aug 11th, 2002 11:42 AM

Kathleen - you can get a lot of previous information by doing a text search. As to the weather, my Tahiti Handbook says that the hot, humid summer season runs from November to April. The northeast trades from January to April coincide with the hurrican season. We didn't stay at the places you mention so can't give you any information but I would definitely go to both islands.

Sue Aug 11th, 2002 11:49 AM

Kathleen, can't help you with the hotels as we were there on a cruise in June. However I have heard good things about both the places you mention as well as Hotel Bora Bora. Bloody Mary's is a fun restaurant and bar there to visit that has been frequented by lots of famous people. The water in the lagoons around Bora Bora is just incredible and we really enjoyed snorkeling and wave runners as well as a 4 X 4 land tour. You might also consider spending some time in Moorea. It is also lovely and a little less touristy. We had perfect weather when we were there. Their summer (our winter) is supposed to be the rainy season, but it is tropical and totally unpredictable. You might check out the www.tahiti-explorer.com for some more information and that site also has message boards. Whatever you do you will have a fabulous time in French Polynesia!

sandy Aug 12th, 2002 03:47 AM

Visited Bora Bora couple of years ago during June. Stayed in a beach bungalow and garden bungalow at the Pearl Beach Resort. Didn't see inside the overwater bungalows. Found the service in the resturant to be fair to poor. Food was just OK. We loved the garden bungalows for their privacy and the beach bungalows for their view. Try www.tahitiexplorer.com for the greatest source of info from people who have been there/done that.

Debi Aug 13th, 2002 11:21 AM

Kathleen, We were in Bora Bora and Moorea a couple of years ago. LOVED IT!!! I did a ton of research - there are a whole bunch of websites out there - just do searches on FP, Bora Bora, etc. Here's what I found out: The seasons that are published really don't seem to matter - it could rain in the dry season and be dry in the rainy season. All the folks from there say - just go. We found that to be true. The other thing I recommend, is that if you're going to Moorea and Bora Bora - go to Moorea first - then Bora Bora. Both islands are great - but you really need to do it in that order. The reason will be obvious to you when you're there. We stayed at the Le Meridien in BB in an OWB. It was absolutely gorgeous. I found the service pretty good and loved the restaurant for breakfast - it was open to a lagoon. We spoke to other folks that stayed at the Pearl - and heard that was also quite nice. The one thing that was a bit of a disappointment to me is that since the Le Meridien is a new hotel, there wasn't coral under the bungalows, so you didn't see many fish. It makes sense, but I was a bit disappointed n that - but not the hotel! The snorkeling in both places is great. I will tell you that my husband had never been to Hawaii. Unfortunately, we went to FP first. When we went to Hawaii (Hawaii & Maui) - my husband didn't like it at all because a) Hawaii wasn't gorgeous like FP and b) Maui traffic was horrible. I guess it all depends - but go to FP - it's fabulous!!! If you have any questions - please feel free to contact me.

Kathleen Aug 13th, 2002 12:39 PM

Thank you for your input, I really needed it. (The caribbean I know, FP I don't so I very much appreciated it) I have narrowed it down to Te Tiare on Huahine, most definately, then to Pearl Beach on Bora Bora. Since we're going for 10 days, we are going to split 4and 4 and stay in OWB in both resorts. I hope its a good choice!