16 days in Oz

Old May 9th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 days in Oz

It will be My mothers first trip out of the USA and my first trip to Oz. We only have 16 days and plan to leave in August. From what I've read so far I think it would be best to do Sydney and FNQ. Can anyone please suggest an itinerary. I know we want to spend 4 nights in Syd, and would like to save time by flying as much as possible to the other areas. We are pretty active and would like to hit the rainforest, GBR, bushwalks if possible. Are there any tours we should not miss out on? When should we rent a car if any? Any suggestions or links to previous posts would be APPRECIATED!

Old May 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM

seraphic, if I could make a suggestion I think it would be better for you to try to keep your first thread alive rather than start a new one. You can do that by asking follow-up questions or "topping" - just "reply" to your original post. In my experience, you'll do better if you do this to stop your thread sinking too far down the list.

Another suggestion - buy a guidebook and read about the options for the areas you want to visit. Also, use the 'search' box on this page to turn up previous threads asking similar questions. I'm not trying to discourage you from asking questions here, it's just that you can usually ask more pertinent ones once you've done a little background reading. A guidebook (Fodors, Fromers, Lonely Planet, there's plenty of choice) is a small additional investment.

Also, www.australia.com, the official Australian tourism site, may be helpful.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:11 AM

I think I agree with Neil. If it was a spur of the moment thing then I guess folk would chime in. But it isn't - and as it is a once in a lifetime trip you owe it to yourselves to do some research. Get familiar with the geography, and the possibilities.

I mean if you have 16 days and want to spend 4 in Sydney and want to fly everywhere - I guess that leaves 12 for FNQ? Is that what you want?

Where else appeals to you? Not me - you!!

Old May 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip about threading. I should have been more specific when asking about info. on places to see. I have already looked up so much info on Au and the previous posts on this and other websites trying to collect data. I was hoping to be able to get different ideas and experiences from people who have travelled there recently and incorporate the ones that suited our needs the best. Thanks for the replies though
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:28 PM

seraphic,
Undara and the Atherton Tablelands are great for wildlife and scenery. Take local tours to get the best value. You can have your own guide or join a small group. Yungaburra is a great place to base yourself for a few days. Try www.yungaburra.com
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:21 AM

I am an Australian. Spend more time in Sydney, it's well worth it
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

I have decided to do 5 in syd, 3 in uluru, 5 in cairns, and 2 more in syd then head back to the states. Thanks for all comments
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I tend to think you are trying to do too much in your short time here. I personally would take out Uluru and do much more around the areas that you are going to i.e. FNQ and Sydney. In FNQ you could spend time going to Undara lava tubes, take the savanna train, spend time on Hinchinbrook Island as well as those other things you are already doing.
In Sydney I would take a trip to Canberra, perhaps on the train and have a look at what our Capital has to offer ( and it has a lot) the Caves in the Blue Mountains, perhpas the wineries in the Hunter Valley, taking the postie boat on the Hawkesbury River which is a terrific way to see not only the river but the surrounds and they are lovely. If you have got a three stop flight with your tickets to Australia then I really would think that Darwin and Kakadu would be far more interesting that Uluru because you can incorporate Lichfield NP and Katherine Gorge, Mataranka Springs and a host of other things in there. Great time to go and I think it offers much more than the Rock ( Uluru)