Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   16-day Itinerary - Sydney-Cairns-Uluru-Melbourne feedback please (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/16-day-itinerary-sydney-cairns-uluru-melbourne-feedback-please-1671766/)

brosis Sep 13th, 2019 12:26 PM

16-day Itinerary - Sydney-Cairns-Uluru-Melbourne feedback please

My daughter will be in Adelaide for a month taking a yoga instructor course. In her break between sessions, I am flying to meet her for a 16-day trip to explore some Australian highlights. Wish I could stay longer... Here's what I've mapped out so far, and I'd greatly appreciate feedback/advice. I arrive Nov 2 in Sydney and leave Nov 18 from Adelaide - that's the only non-negotiable. I do not plan to rent a car. We will be staying in budget accommodations. Hope to take public transport in the cities and explore on our own except for the tours mentioned. Appreciate any advice on what I've outline, on tours, and anything else!! I am an active/fit 71 year old who loves hiking (3 miles at a go up to 7 miles in a day) and my daughter is 40 and very fit. We both love natural beauty in preference to cities. Here's my itinerary at this point:
  • November 2-5 Sydney - arrive morning of Nov 2 fly Sydney to Cairns on November 6
  • November 6-9 Cairns/Port Douglas - plan to book snorkling at Barrier Reef and trip to Daintree - fly Cairns to Uluru November 10
  • November 10-12 Uluru - Alice Springs - (I have a 2 night/3 day camping trip booked touring Uluru, domes of Kata Tjuta and the Lost City and Garden of Eden in Watarrka National Park ending in AS) fly Alice Springs to Melbourne November 13
  • November 13-15 Melbourne
  • November 16-17 take a 2-day Ocean Road tour to Adelaide
  • November 18 fly from Adelaide home

marg Sep 13th, 2019 02:10 PM

You're certainly packing a lot into 16 days but it's doable and you will definitely sleep well on the flight home.
I wouldn't want to do Uluru in November but if that's your only time, then be prepared to drink lots of water and use sunscreen and a hat.

brosis Sep 13th, 2019 04:21 PM

Thank you!

KayF Sep 13th, 2019 09:47 PM

You are doing a lot and you mention liking nature more than cities, but this is visiting nearly all cities. An option would be to cut something out and explore outside the city area. Skipping Melbourne would make most sense I think. Not saying you should, but you'd then have more time in the other places.

I'd suggest staying in Port Douglas rather than Cairns. You'll be closer to the boat trips to the reef (check departure points online). Port Douglas is a lot smaller than Cairns and while some restaurants and accommodation is upmarket, you can find places that are cheaper. The Sunday market is good if that coincides with your visit.

There are a couple of good walks in Sydney. We loved the one along the sea from Bondi Beach to Coogee and there is one from Spit Bridge to Manly. That gets you out of the city with great scenery.

If you haven't already, check the flights between each of your cities to see how long it takes and how often they go. That might affect your plans. Also a good idea to factor in jetlag in the first few days after arrival (depends a bit on where you are coming from).

Kay

Melnq8 Sep 14th, 2019 10:42 AM

I wouldn't want to do Uluru in November but if that's your only time, then be prepared to drink lots of water and use sunscreen and a hat.

Ditto that. And add a fly net to your packing list.