Please look at this itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2017, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put together an itinerary that is in its first stages. We are planning on 5 weeks between a cruise of New Zealand and land travel of Australia.

Sydney 4 nights, 3 days
11 night New Zealand Cruise
Auckland ( cruise ends here) 2 nights, 1 1/2 days
Melbourne ( Phillip Island) 2 days
Adelaide (Kangaroo Island) 2days
Alice Rock 2 nights, 3 days
Cairns 4 nights
Sydney 2 nights, one of which is New Years Eve

As I am writing this, it seems like a lot, but we have time. We want to be there for New Years Eve, and we have to be in Sydney for the cruise , and Auckland because it ends there. The rest is open for discussion.
We are flying between Auckland and Melbourne, Adelaide and Alice Rock, then on to Cairns and back to Sydney, and driving from Melbourne to Adelaide on the Great Coastal Highway.

How crazy is this?

Thank you!
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 01:54 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
<<How crazy is this?>>

Very.

First off, is there anyway I can talk you out of a cruise of NZ? You're missing the best bits - the middle.

You say five weeks yet I count 29 nights.

Australia is roughly the size of the US. I count 18 nights on your Australian itinerary. Would you consider visiting five states in the US in 18 nights?

Alice Rock? I assume you mean Alice Springs/Uluru.

Is any of this booked?
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 02:09 PM

Further clarification. There's Alice Springs and then there's Ayer's Rock, which is also known as Uluru. The two are a nearly a five hour drive apart. Or you could fly. It's about 50 minute flight from Alice Springs to Yulara, near Uluru.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 02:23 PM

I would cut the number of areas you hope to visit in half. It'll be cyclone season in Queensland (doesn't mean there will be cyclones, but it is more of a possibility during this time of year). While it'll be really hot in Uluru.

What are your main interests? Regarding the Australia potion, you might be perfectly happy just visiting Melbourne and area, Adelaide and area, and Sydney. There will be plenty to enjoy in and around each of these cities, but you'll need more time. For example, the drive from Melbourne to Penguin Parade on Phillip Island takes nearly two hours (one way). By the way, I suggest taking a tour.

You will be traveling at the busiest time of year.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 02:24 PM

Meant to write portion, not potion!
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You lose the best part of a day when you check out, fly somewhere new and check in again. I'd definitely drop something from your list. That time of year it will be very hot and humid so I'd skip Cairns and/or Alice Springs if it was me.

The time you have allocated to each place is way too short. Have you checked a map to see how far apart these places are - e.g. Melbourne airport or city to Philip Island? Factor this into your plans.

Kay
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 01:51 AM

Driving from Melbourne to Adelaide on the GOR will take at least 2 days and this is the busiest time of the year also that road - it's our summer break and lots gomtomthe beach towns along the GOR. Then you are driving ?? To Kangaroo island - for how long ?

Write out your days with number of nights and allow time for travel and what sort of travel and this will give you a better idea.
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 03:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar...JmJ#.etM20EPDP

Qantas, Viegin & Jetstar for flight schedules, flight times
Factor in +4 hours for each flight for for transport to & from airport, hotel check in & out etc.,
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:16 PM

alisonmary, when you say "but we have time", does that mean you can add days to your trip?

2 days Melbourne is a not enough, especially if you've set aside those two days to Phillip Island (which is worth visiting for sure). Melbourne has at least three museums I'd recommend visiting.

The National Gallery of Victoria has two locations in the CBD. Admission is free. The more contemporary museum, IAN POTTER CENTRE: NGV AUSTRALIA, is at Federation Square; the other, NGV INTERNATIONAL is a short walk away (or you can jump on the tram for a couple of stops).
https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/visit/
The Melbourne Museum, in Carlton Gardens, has natural history displays about animals and minerals, a gallery devoted to the Aboriginal peoples of Victoria, a Forest Gallery with live plants, trees and native birds, and much more.
https://museumsvictoria.com.au/melbournemuseum/

Melbourne's inner city has a lot of character, with pedestrian laneways, colorful street art, interesting Victorian architecture, gardens, and a great market, Queen Victoria Market. The Yarra River runs right through it.

Outside of the city, if you enjoy wine, you might want to visit the Yarra Valley.
http://wineyarravalley.com.au/

Adelaide, too, deserves more time than the two you've set aside for Kangaroo Island (again, worth visiting). If you enjoy wine, the most famous wine regions near Adelaide are the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale (but there are more). And where there's good wine there's also good food.

You'd probably also enjoy Adelaide's South Australian Museum:
http://www.samuseum.sa.gov.au/
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I have been working with a travel agent for this trip.never having done this before. Nothing is finalized yet, we are still in the preliminary stages and waiting on a price quote. That being said here is what we have so far, as we have totally changed the itinerary.

Arrive Auckland , stay one night.
Drive to Rotorua, 2 nights, see caves, Geothermal,and Maori Cultural evening event ,Princes Gate Hotel???
Fly to Christchurch,, overnight, Rydges Latimer or Rendezvous hotels????
pick up alpine train to Fox Glacier, drive to after train arr. at Greymouth
Fox Glacier, two nights,Glacier Valley Hike, visit Lake Matheson, Distinction Te Weheka Boutique Hotel???
Drive to Queenstown, 2 nights, Jet tour, skyline gondola, We have choices: Copthorne, Queenstown House, Peppers Beacon, or Novotel Lakeside?????
drive to milford sound, overnight fjord cruise
back to queenstown, fly to Melbourne, no hotel yet here
Melbourne, 3 nights, evening penguin tour, free day to see city, free morning to see city
Drive 3 nights to Adelaide, with many stops along the way
over night in Port Fairy, Hotel Oscar???
overnight in Robe Ann's Place??
overnight in Victor Harbor The Bluff Hotel?
drive to Cape Jervis, ferry to Kangaroo Island, overnight, ( no hotel yet)
next day drive to Adelaide, fleurieu peninsula, along the way, 3 nights, Barossa Valley Day Tour, free day in city, Radison Playford Hotel or similar??
fly to Cairns, 4 nights, Reef Trip, with glass bottom boat, snorkeling, Kuranda Day tour, and a quiet Christmas Day exploring by car on our own,
hotel Choices????? -
Port Douglas : Peninsula Boutique Hotel; Not on beach but close. No kids allowed! Kitchenettes will come in handy for a 4 night stay.
Peppers Beach Club, Shantara Resort, or , The Sea Temple is very nice. It's a bit out of town but I suggest you get a car if you're going to stay in Port Douglas. Tours will pick up there and there is probably a shuttle to town.
Palm Cove: Just in case you fall in love with this place: Alamanda Palm Cove by Lancemore. It's on the sand. https://www.lancemore.com.au/alamanda
fly to Sydney, 5 nights, stay for new years eve? Still looking for a hotel

I know this is a lot, but we are fine with that. We enjoy moving around, just take less luggage!!!
My biggest question is: the hotel in Port Douglas? If we stay in that area, do we need to go into Cairns to eat dinner, or are there enough places to choose from in the area. We need to choose one. We'd like to stay around $300/night, but might splurge here if the hotel is well worth it, as we may spend time in it and use their pool, etc.
and, if you recognize any of the other hotels
Thank you!!!
Alison

Palm Cove: Just in case you fall in love with this place: Alamanda Palm Cove by Lancemore. It's on the sand. https://www.lancemore.com.au/alamanda
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 09:02 AM

Is the travel agent putting a custom itinerary for you or booking you for a prepackaged tour with specific number of days at each place and 2 or 3 choices of hotels?

Though I guess a package could include a rental car as part of it too.

It still seems pretty busy, too many things.

Just as an example, I'm going to Sydney, Melbourne, the Great Ocean Road trip over a period of two weeks. On the Great Ocean Road, I'm staying one or two nights at 3 different stops. Your itinerary from Melbourne to Adelaide is only 3 days and you're going a longer distance.

A lot of packaged tours rush you from one place to another. That might not be a bad way to sample bits of each place but it can feel rushed.

But if you enjoy moving around, I guess you can do it this way and see if there are some places you wish you'd spent more time in, rather than hopping to the next destination.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 11:25 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope you're extremely energetic.

You do realize you only have one full day in Fox Glacier and one full day in Queenstown right? The train/drive to get to Fox and the drive to QT will take the better part of a day.
Old Jan 11th, 2018, 07:11 PM

There are loads of restaurants in Port Douglas . I dont think youd want to drive 67 km (1 hour ) drive to cairns just for a
meal !