Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   14 Day Cruise (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/14-day-cruise-384215/)

barbandhugh Dec 23rd, 2003 06:50 PM

14 Day Cruise

We are leaving shortly for Auckland for 4 days then a 14 day Princess cruise stopping at Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, Fjordland Park, Hobart, Adelaide, Melbourne and ending in Sydney. Spending 3 nights in Sydney. Have tickets to La Traviata at Sydney Opera House. Wondering what "not to miss" in other ports...any suggestions would be appreciated!

Janese Dec 24th, 2003 11:56 AM

It really depends on the time you have in the other ports and without knowing that it is very hard to help you.
I think you best bet for all of those places would be to do a search of them and pick something that would fit in with you time wise. You will find many answers here on this forum under the city name.

Alan Dec 24th, 2003 03:26 PM

Hi, barbandhugh!

How's this for an extra treat.... instead of spending your shore leave in Melbourne and Adelaide (pleasant towns both, but hardly exciting destinations), why not disembark in Adelaide, hire a car from a company that will let you drop it off in Melbourne, and then drive that leg of the journey along the Great Ocean Road? That way you'd get to see a bit of Australia that your fellow-cruisers won't catch. You'll beat the ship by miles, and actually have even longer --if you needed it -- in Melbourne than they will.

pat Dec 25th, 2003 09:28 AM

climb the Sydney bridge, the "Coathanger", an unforgettable experience.

almondtree Dec 25th, 2003 12:44 PM

Barb and Hugh,
It sounds like you are going on the Jan. 3 Star Princess. So are we. We have met a nice group of about 8-10 people over in Cruise Critic and have plans for a sailaway party. If interested, we are meeting at 5:30 p.m. at the Alfresco Bar on Deck 14. Everyone is wearing rubberbands around their wrists to identify themselves as part of our group - don't ask me why. Which flight are you on to Auckland? Does it leave from LA?
You can reply to me at [email protected].

maryk Dec 26th, 2003 09:38 AM

As I'm not sure what your particular interests are, here a a few general suggestions for melbouurne. You could catch a cab into the city - or even a tram (they leave from close to Station Pier where you'll dock). Visit the newly refurbished National Gallery and the Ian Potter Australian Gallery in federation square. Take the city circle tram & maybe visit the market. Visit the Botanic Gardens. Stroll along Southbank and take a river cruise or cruise to Williamstown. You may not have time for all of that - but apart from the cruise to Williamstown - it's all quite close together.

seasonless Jan 5th, 2004 05:10 PM

When are you sailing from Auckland? We're on the Star leaving Auckland on January 31.