Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   1 month down under - itinerary help (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/1-month-down-under-itinerary-help-589020/)

Rozmin Feb 7th, 2006 10:45 AM

1 month down under - itinerary help

Hello all,
My husband and I are flying in and out of Sydney - December 16th to January 16th. We are both interested in the outdoors. We would like to snorkel the GBR or the Whitsunday Islands, hike, bike and kayak. My husband is also and avid birder.

These are the places we would like to visit and would appreciate all inputs on how to plan this trip. This is what we have very roughly put together:
1) A few days in and around Sydney
2) A few days snorkelling/ sailing. Suggestions please! Maybe a week for items 1 and 2
3) Tasmania - drive and hike or bike. What mode of transportation?? 1 week maybe?
4) 10 days to 2 weeks in New Zealand. Both Islands or just the South Island? What mode of transportation. One idea was to have a small camper-van. Suggestions?

If time allows, what else to see in Australia!!?

Many, many thanks for all your inputs in advance.

Regards,
Rozmin

SnRSeattle Feb 7th, 2006 10:59 AM

Rozmin, one suggestion for a snorkel place WITH birds is Heron Island. We wanted to go there for the snorkeling, but since I am allergic to birds, had to forgo it. It is the most affordable place with snorkeling off the beach (well, there are backpack places that are more affordable) that is the closest to the actual reef. You didn't say what price range you were looking for. Australia is a great place for birds!
Sally in Seattle

Rozmin Feb 7th, 2006 01:22 PM

Many thanks Sally. I will check on Heron Island.

Rozmin.

bhuty Feb 7th, 2006 04:16 PM

check out Lord howe as well. it'll cost you but check it out.

bhuty Feb 7th, 2006 04:20 PM

oh i just noticed you wrote "3) Tasmania - drive and hike or bike. What mode of transportation??" i don;t get the question?

Tasmania is still a pretty big island. If you plan on biking it then you'd better have some massive thighs on you.

Sounds like a good trip. you aren't trying too much and so will be able to do heaps (if that makes sense). Whether or not to do both islands is a big question that totally depends on what type of holiday you want but both are easily possible.

Rozmin Feb 8th, 2006 10:16 AM

Hi,
My question i guess is pretty confusing:
3) Tasmania - drive and hike or bike. What mode of transportation??
What I meant was is it better to drive on your own or use public transportation? And the second part to that question is that we would like to do some hiking or some biking. Any trails that anyone has done and recommends?
Thanks so much for all your input. It is much appreciated.

Peteralan Feb 8th, 2006 12:59 PM

We drove around Tasmania and enjoyed it immensely, stopping when and when we wanted. From my previous research , it didn't appear to be too feasible to rely on public transport. There is no rail system to speak of but there are buses. Others will have to comment on how efficeint bus travel would be but I would say if you are going for one week then drive.Have fun!

pat_woolford Feb 8th, 2006 01:42 PM

Whilst there's huge numbers of sea birds on Heron Island, the largest variety of species is to be found in Far North Queensland and birdwatchers from all over the world flock here (no pun intended). Jonathan Munro of Wild Watch will find them for you, he knows the right spots, in various habitats including tropical highland rainforest of Atherton Tableland, outback, wetlands, Daintree and other rainforest areas - even the middle of Cairns city. Cairns Esplanade, whilst derided by some for not having a sandy beach, has mudflats rich with food to attract migratory wading birds and is on every birdwatcher's list. Jonathan takes from half-day to several days (or longer) trips and uses Ocean Spirit to Michaelmas Cay (also a great snorkelling site) out of Cairns for the thousands of seabirds nesting there. www.wildwatch.com.au

Rozmin Feb 8th, 2006 02:13 PM

Thanks so much Sally and Pat for info on Heron Island. We will for sure put that on our list of places to see. Peter, yes, it looks like it may be best to get a car for 1 week for Tasmania. Has anyone done any great hikes or a bike ride maybe over 2 days??

Has anyone used a campervan in New Zealand? What company to rent from? Any suggestions for places NOT to miss.

Thanks so much all for all your input.

Rozmin