Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on taking our 11 year old to Thailand???

Jan 27th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Hello all! It has been awhile since I have been on here....our last trips were to south america and a couple of cruises....but I have missed the Asia board!

I have already asked Bob this in an email, but would love others input as well.

Weare planning our fourth trip to Thialand for this summer. We would like to take our 11 year old son this time, but want to make sure that would be a good idea.

We are planning 10 days on the ground in Thailand, half in Bangkok, and half in CM. The CM portion is to visit our boy that we sponsor thru Compassion International. My wife was able to visit him last year and said it was amazing!!!!

So, please let me know your thoughts on taking a younger kid on this long trip. We live in Kansas City, so it will be a long haul to get there. I am also a bit concerned about the jeg lag with him.

We have great friends here that own a Thai restaurant and our son will eat most everything they cook him, so eating there isnt a problem.

He has a passport, and has been on four different cruises. He talks about going ALL the time!!!!!!

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jeffrey

If we go, i guess i would need to change our screen name in traveltrio!
Jan 27th, 2011, 06:29 PM

I think it's a fine idea to take him to Thailand. I'm sure he'll enjoy it, and you'll get to see Thailand through his eyes - a real treat.

He will no doubt experience some jet lag, but kids typically do better with it than adults. Let him plan what he wants to have on the plane to occupy him for the long flights, and you might take some extra surprises as well.
Jan 27th, 2011, 06:32 PM

"He talks about going ALL the time!!!!!!"

I think you have the answer.
Jan 27th, 2011, 07:17 PM

don't take him unless you plan a yearly trip there for several years to come...
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:06 PM

Could you look him in the eye and say "sorry mate, you get to stay home". I'd suggest taking him to an elephant camp near CM.
Jan 27th, 2011, 10:05 PM

I don’t see any issue with taking a child that age. He is old enough to remember this trip for the rest of his life, which is a great thing; and is one of the advantages of taking an older child rather than a much younger one. I agree he will probably do better with the jet lag than the adults. He is old enough to understand that he needs to wash his hands before meals, drink bottled water, perhaps watch the ice, and not to eat uncooked foods, fruits he does not peel himself, etc. You would not have to watch him all the time like you might with a younger child. I would not make him overly worried about this, or he will be afraid to eat anything, but merely mention it as just something that one does. You may have to remind him to drink water often to stay hydrated, which is a concern in the heat and humidity which he will not be used to.

There are no Malaria issues where you are going (see ttp://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/thailand.aspx), so assuming he is up to date with the standard childhood inoculations, he should be fine. You probably want to get him Hep A and Hep B as I assume he does not have them. Your doctor could tell you if these are recommended for children. Definitely update Tetanus (these all apply to the adults as well).

I would make sure to give him some down time to just sit by a pool, play in the pool, etc. He may not be into seeing all the temples in Bangkok as you may be. You could also include things like Thai boxing or perhaps even get to a soccer match in Rajamangala stadium, see http://www.thaifootball.com and http://www.fat.or.th/ There is a schedule for Premier League games at http://www.thai-fussball.de/en/ showing games through early June.

The one issue he may encounter is being the centre of attention, as non-Asian kids are not really that common in Thailand in my experience, esp. as you get to outlying areas away from beach resorts. So adults and children may want to touch him and ask a lot of questions. You may want to prepare him for that. This can be a very positive thing, but could also be overwhelming to a kid, esp. if he is shy.
Jan 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM

My kids, now 11 and 9, have been 5 times and never get sick of Thailand.

We just try to limit the amount of locations on each trip as getting them prepared for travelling days can get a little stressful.

Try to pick places where they will be likely to be other kids around. It is better to stay at mid range resorts that attract famalies rather than the high ens places where kids can sometimes be frowned apon.

Activities like Bowling, Go Karts or even going to the movies can be lots of fun for kids to do in a foreign country as they pick up on the subtle variations of how things are done compared to back home.

My kids LOVE visiting Snake Farms, riding in Tuk-Tuks, going to the Muay Thai, mini golf etc. We generally treat them to a Thai massage at some part of each trip which seems to entertain the masseuse as well.
Jan 27th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the responses so far! They are very much appreciated.

We attend Thai events here at home often, and his blonde hair and blue eyes are always the topic of conversation. Our Thai friends here have told him the same thing....when you go, be ready for them to touch you and ask a lot of questions.

I think he is most excited to see Sathit, the boy we sponsor. We have had him in our lives for five years. The boys have been asking each other questions like " do you like to eat grasshoppers?" To which our son replied, " no, but i love mac and cheese!" One of the first letters we received from him said," Parker, your skin is really white! I like that a lot."

Since Bob helped us on our very first trip tp Thailand all those years ago, we have grown to love the Marriott, and will probably return there this trip. Im sure he will love the pool! We also have a couple of friends that live in Bangkok, and some in CM as well, so it will be nice for him to see inside someones home, and not just the view from a hotel room.

The elephant camp is a great idea! We will for sure make that a stop. He would love to see a Muay Thai even as well! Last time we were there it seemed that some of the kids were not that much older than he is now!

My wife also loved Siam Nirimt last year, so hopefully we will be able to make it to that with him.
Jan 28th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Sounds like you've decided! Trust me... your son will love it! And yes, he will ask to back again and again.
Carol